Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,844   Posts: 1,582,675   Online: 1076

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I just scanned my first two rolls, developed with what I had at hand (Ilfosol LC29).

I hadd one roll exposed at ISO100 and developed roughly (not taking too much care about time and temperature), and the second exposed at ISO 50 and carefully developed.

I can definitely see a difference in grain, and the latter shows rather fine grain, although still noticeable on a 2800 ppi scan. With a little bit of post-treatment in Lightroom,
    however, this is very manageable. I am therefore rather pleased with this film. I will still try to reduce grain, but at least I have a workable solution currently.

Shooter
    127 Format
    Embrace the grain. It is what makes film so special.
    - Bill Lynch

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Xtol 1+1 - works a treat. I love the film but there is too little light for handheld, available-light photography around here most of the time. And you know, "the grain is supposed to be there".
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wblynch View Post
    Embrace the grain. It is what makes film so special.
    You must have hated the late lamented Efke 25... :-)

Seriously, there's a lot more to film than grain, or we'd all be seeking coarse grain preferentially. 35mm is a mighty small negative, and a level of grain that might be just great in medium format or invisible on a nice big sheet could be Just Plain Too Much in what the Germans very accurately call Kleinbildformat.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    127 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ntenny View Post
    You must have hated the late lamented Efke 25... :-)

Seriously, there's a lot more to film than grain, or we'd all be seeking coarse grain preferentially. 35mm is a mighty small negative, and a level of grain that might be just great in medium format or invisible on a nice big sheet could be Just Plain Too Much in what the Germans very accurately call Kleinbildformat.

-NT
    No, it's just been too much about trying to eliminate grain. Grain is not the enemy. Without it film would not even work.
    - Bill Lynch

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wblynch View Post
    No, it's just been too much about trying to eliminate grain. Grain is not the enemy. Without it film would not even work.
    Well, the OP did ask for fine grain like Acros, and with a film that isn't "natively" especially fine-grained that's going to mean seeking a development regime that minimizes the grain. I agree with you in the abstract, but if somebody says "I want to develop for fine grain", they probably won't be satisfied with the answer "don't do that". :-) (And in the case of the Kentmere films my favorite answer, "shoot a larger format", doesn't apply either.)

Perceptol seems like a natural developer to try---I've seen people post nice-looking results with Kentmere 100 in it, and Ilford provides times on the data sheet.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't mind a bit of grain, but sometimes, and especially in small format (35mm), when scanned with my tools, I prefer it fine, rather than coarse. Photography is about how the result looks, isn't it ?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin