Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,529   Posts: 1,543,958   Online: 1060

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Kentmere 100 : which developer

I have recently bought some bulk Kentmere 100, mostly because Acros 100 is no longer available as bulk.

I would like to know which developer would get me fine grain similar to Acros 100 on this film. I was using
    LC29 1+19 with great results, I wonder if anyone has experience with this film and could recommend a
    specific soup.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You won't go wrong with D76

Shooter
    35mm
    I just recently did a test with 2 different developers - Ilford Ilfosol 3 (results are a little bit grainy) and Arista Liquid dev (from freestylephoto = Clayton F60) with much better results. I am going to try HC110 as well.

Shooter
    35mm
    I have processed it in Rodinal, but for the Kentmere 100 the processing times given in Digital Truth is only if the film is rated at 50 ISO. Having said that I did use some at 50 and the results are superb with finer than expected grain.

For the 400 there are times for the full speed.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I didn't like it much in HC-110 using the times in the MDC. The negatives seemed sort of in-between; kind of grainy but without a really "characterful" grain, not especially sharp in appearance, tonal scale just sort of ordinary-looking. Of course those are all the same complaints people often have about HC-110 itself, so it might be most accurate to say that the film didn't flatter the developer, rather than the other way round. I did get some images I liked---it's not like it ruined my photos, but it didn't make me say "I really like how this combination renders Property X", no matter what "property X" of the film/image I looked at.

I don't shoot much 35mm any more and never went back to Kentmere after that initial trial, but I would expect it to be at its best if you picked a "direction" to go with it: use Rodinal for the acutance and accept the grain, or use a fine-grain developer for smoothness and accept the loss of acutance, but don't try to do a balancing act between different characteristics. All IMHO, of course, and based on very limited experience.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for the insights. My main worry as I do 35mm black and white (as opposed to larger formats), is to get
    decent scans. Coarse grain at ISO400 yields very noisy scans few greys, whereas scanning Acros produces very detailed and subtle nuances. So I guess acutance is not so important.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I haven't tried Kentmere 100 yet but have some and will be trying it soon.

I've recently started using Photographers Formulary Divided D76 on a number of films and have been very pleased with the results. It seems very forgiving with very consistant results. You might want to give it a try.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    2nd D-76. Works well 1+1

Shooter
    Medium Format
    There is no way to get the fine grain of the Fuji acros with the Kentmere 100.
    Try Kodak T-max 100 or Ilford Delta 100 or Rollei Retro 80s.

Meanwhile try ID-11/D-76 stock solution for 9 minutes.
    Last edited by Bundesphotograph; 02-13-2013 at 09:06 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I can very well imagine that Kentmere does not match Acros. In fact, all I need is good enough to get a decent scans.
    I will definitely try D76. Thanks for your feedback !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin