Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,205   Posts: 1,531,679   Online: 1143

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Waxing RC prints

I'm not sure this is the right forum for this question, but here goes. Some years ago, I read of a finishing step for RC black and white prints that advocated a thin coat of paste wax on the image side of the print. Does anyone remember which wax was used, or if this is even advisable. Again, sorry if this is the wrong place for this question.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by presspass View Post
    I'm not sure this is the right forum for this question, but here goes. Some years ago, I read of a finishing step for RC black and white prints that advocated a thin coat of paste wax on the image side of the print. Does anyone remember which wax was used, or if this is even advisable. Again, sorry if this is the wrong place for this question.
    Why would you wish to do this?

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Here's a thread with a related discussions.

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum46/5...ng-prints.html
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    You can use a pure paraffin microcrystalline museum wax like Renaissance wax. But again, why?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by presspass View Post
    Are you sure the article mentioned RC prints and not FB ones? Wax on RC prints might actually be deleterious to them.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In college (the 70's) another student waxed his fiber prints. Looking at them, the D-Max appeared to have improved, but he said it was a PITA to do. I remember him showing me one which was left near an open window, and became covered with pollen. I never heard of it being done on RC paper, so can't help you with that.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Michael's and most art store sell Krylon archival UV sprays in matt, luster and gloss. The times I've sprayed prints I like the luster finish the best. It is very challenging, as Eddie noted, to keep bits of dust away. Best case is to spray inside with some sort of vent, several very light coats, and use a toothpick to remove any dust or fibers after each coat has dried. It's a pain but the results can sometimes be worth it.
    Parker Smith Photography, Inc.
    Atlanta, GA

Commercial & Fine Art Photography
    Portrait Photography

Shooter
    Multi Format
    In college (the 70's) another student waxed his fiber prints. Looking at them, the D-Max appeared to have improved, but he said it was a PITA to do. I remember him showing me one which was left near an open window, and became covered with pollen.
    Ansel Adams in his book The Print describes how to use lithographers varnish #1 for FB prints. This varnish should be available from most good artist's supply stores. The trick with varnishing or waxing is to remove all visible wax or varnish with a clean cloth so that there is no residue to attract pollen or dust.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I've seen a fellow printer put a wax on matte fibre prints, and it created a pleasant enough look. This was on the old Silver Supreme matte paper, which was super matte if you've never seen it. Similar to Ilford's new Art 300 paper. The wax he used was a conservationist's product, and intended for photographic prints.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Gosh - here comes another piece of advice from AA. Inevitable. They also sold leaded gas back then.
    Print varnishes were intended for temporary protection, or more often, to add a retouching surface prior
    to airbrushing or whatever. The are still made, but nasty unhealthy and yellow over time. Typcially butyl acetate lacquer. Acrylic sprays like Krylon can be obtained at art stores, but have no archival value either. Museum waxes are pure microcrystalline, with no carnuba or beeswax, so stay quite clear
    without damage to either the print or all those little bits of hair and lint which inveitably get embedded
    in wax!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin