Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,826   Posts: 1,582,043   Online: 776

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    ...if you like the look of Caffenol...

Try it at home first. Actually, that goes with any dev.

Shooter
    35mm
    What I would do (and this is measured in ml, not grams): 10 ml sodium sulfite, 1ml metol, 3ml HQ, 2ml sodium carbonate, mono (washing soda). Put all together in a liter size PET plastic bottle (Gatorade). Add about 750ml water. Cap bottle and shake vigorously for about one minute. Add water to make one liter. Don't worry about oxidation with the shaking because it won't happen. Store in PET plastic. If using one-shot, dilute enough 1+1 before use. If using as stock you will be surprised how long it lasts without replenishment if you give a little extra time after the first four rolls. Naturally, for the one shot you will have to either add marbles to the stock (a pain) or transfer to smaller bottles (glass or PET plastic).

If you want to be REALLY efficient, don't even mix up the whole liter. Take the time to measure (with a razor, just like a cocaine dealer!) the dry chemicals into maybe eight equal amounts for each chemical and then place each dry mixture into a small baggie (again, like a drug dealer) so that you use one baggie for each roll (or, 'fix', like a drug addict). - David Lyga

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You are going to be carrying a lot of bottles of DD-X if you want to use it at the standard 1+4 dilution, although it is very flexible yet also very expensive. Perhaps better would be HC110 or Rodinal, both able to uprate or down rate the ISO depending on the results you want. Both of these are also able to withstand poor travelling conditions of hot and cold in half used bottles without going off.

Steve

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Another vote for the Rodinal..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    i'd stick with rodinal or hc-110
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Rodinal if you like it gritty or HC-110 for a smoother look and feel. Have a great trip anyhow.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    If you are coming to Calgary give me a shout. I have a darkroom you can use while you are here.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I have done this a few times. I always use Rodinal, but I already use it. If you want to soften the graininess you can always add ascorbic acid or sodium sulfite. I haven't done this myself, but many have said it works. I believe there is an article about it on Unblinking Eye.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    you could probably just bring 3 vitamin jars each with metol, sodium sulfite and borax ... and a teaspoon ...
    its easy to make d23 and ozwald adams used and loved it ..

fra

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    And what about Pyrocat?

http://www.pyrocat-hd.com/

Standard dilution is 1:1:100, plus very easy to get within the US at many merchants. Actually I think you can get almost anything within the US, don't know how it is on Canada but I assume it's much easier than in Brazil where I live (btw, I'm now buying from Photographers Formular and they ship almost everything).

EDIT: corrected wrong statement on toxicity, it's lower than standard pyro developers but still toxic.
    Last edited by fra; 02-14-2013 at 08:24 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin