Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,556   Posts: 1,573,190   Online: 940

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by fra View Post
    And what about Pyrocat?

http://www.pyrocat-hd.com/

It's non-toxic and standard dilution is 1:1:100, plus very easy to get within the US at many merchants. Actually I think you can get almost anything within the US, don't know how it is on Canada but I assume it's much easier than in Brazil where I live (btw, I'm now buying from Photographers Formular and they ship almost everything).
    Non toxic???

fra

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by jim appleyard View Post
    Non toxic???
    Oooops VERY SORRY, my bad.

lower toxicity is correct, not what I said.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks folks. Some good ideas, but it looks like Rodinal is getting the most votes. I also like the ideas that it's one-shot and will stand being warm in a half full bottle.
    Thanks a lot to Eric Rose. We'll be in Calgary for a couple of days, staying with my wife's brother, and I'll give you a call. By that time, I'll probably be sick of bathrooms.
    I'm thinking to take a separate box, like maybe a cheap plastic toolbox, and put in a bottle of something like Rodinal, concentrated liquid fix, wash aid, stop bath, photo-flo, the tank and reels, thermometer and a few plastic bottles to hold working solutions while they're being used. Everything will be in factory labelled bottles. If it's a night to develop, I'll just grab the whole thing and haul it into the room and go to work. The next morning, the dried negs can be cut and stored in sheets.
    Is this kind of what you did Patrick R James?

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

NEED LIQUID DEVELOPER FOR ROAD TRIP

Quote Originally Posted by David Lyga View Post
    What I would do (and this is measured in ml, not grams): 10 ml sodium sulfite, 1ml metol, 3ml HQ, 2ml sodium carbonate, mono (washing soda). Put all together in a liter size PET plastic bottle (Gatorade). Add about 750ml water. Cap bottle and shake vigorously for about one minute. Add water to make one liter. Don't worry about oxidation with the shaking because it won't happen. Store in PET plastic. If using one-shot, dilute enough 1+1 before use. If using as stock you will be surprised how long it lasts without replenishment if you give a little extra time after the first four rolls. Naturally, for the one shot you will have to either add marbles to the stock (a pain) or transfer to smaller bottles (glass or PET plastic).

If you want to be REALLY efficient, don't even mix up the whole liter. Take the time to measure (with a razor, just like a cocaine dealer!) the dry chemicals into maybe eight equal amounts for each chemical and then place each dry mixture into a small baggie (again, like a drug dealer) so that you use one baggie for each roll (or, 'fix', like a drug addict). - David Lyga
    David, of all people ... Haha

Don't do this, at least if he used something labeled, anyone who would be suspicious would be able to google the name listed on the bottle and he wouldn't be arrested, if you are just carrying a bunch of empty non-branded bottles, you're sure to be suspicious and most likely have everything confiscated.. Lol

Another vote for Rodinal!

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hdeyong View Post
    Thanks folks. Some good ideas, but it looks like Rodinal is getting the most votes. I also like the ideas that it's one-shot and will stand being warm in a half full bottle.
    Thanks a lot to Eric Rose. We'll be in Calgary for a couple of days, staying with my wife's brother, and I'll give you a call. By that time, I'll probably be sick of bathrooms.
    I'm thinking to take a separate box, like maybe a cheap plastic toolbox, and put in a bottle of something like Rodinal, concentrated liquid fix, wash aid, stop bath, photo-flo, the tank and reels, thermometer and a few plastic bottles to hold working solutions while they're being used. Everything will be in factory labelled bottles. If it's a night to develop, I'll just grab the whole thing and haul it into the room and go to work. The next morning, the dried negs can be cut and stored in sheets.
    Is this kind of what you did Patrick R James?
    Yes. Sometimes I have used a hair dryer since I was leaving early in the morning and didn't want to wait for the negs to dry. Don't forget to take some string and some clips of some sort to hang your film. If you don't want to cut the film right away you can store it safely in an empty bulk roll tin. In fact since you are traveling light that might be the best way to go so the negs don't get damaged. Sleeve them when you get back home.

The only chemicals you need are developer, TF-4 fix and Edwal LFN. Skip the stop bath and wash aid (if you use TF-4). Keep life simple.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Robert James View Post
    Yes. Sometimes I have used a hair dryer since I was leaving early in the morning and didn't want to wait for the negs to dry. Don't forget to take some string and some clips of some sort to hang your film. If you don't want to cut the film right away you can store it safely in an empty bulk roll tin. In fact since you are traveling light that might be the best way to go so the negs don't get damaged. Sleeve them when you get back home.

The only chemicals you need are developer, TF-4 fix and Edwal LFN. Skip the stop bath and wash aid (if you use TF-4). Keep life simple.
    Are there any drawbacks to using TF-4? Why doesn't everyone use it and save steps?

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Are there any drawbacks to using TF-4? Why doesn't everyone use it and save steps?

~Stone

Because TF-5 is even better.
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by markbarendt View Post
    Because TF-5 is even better.
    Not helpful since I don't know about either of those... Lol

~Stone

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Both are excellent Stone and share many qualities. Some say TF-4 lasts better, some believe that being a bit acidic it works better with certain developers. I like TF-5 better because I believe there s less smell and find no fault with longevity or action in my work.
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I wouldn't want to travel with TF-4 because it seems to have been designed to be completely mixed (as opposed to being a concentrate you can dilute as needed), although I suppose you could mix it into batches of stock and travel with those. Seems like a pain to me. TF-4 is an alkaline fixer by the way. TF-5 is a totally different formula and is close to neutral in pH.

Even if you use a standard acidic fixer you can skip washaid/hypo clearing anyway with film since the wash time is not all that long to begin with. One less chemical to travel with.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin