Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,507   Posts: 1,543,550   Online: 1059

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Yes, HC-110 is much more like D-76. You might even consider making the "stock solution", if the trip is only 40 days, that's under it's lifetime. Makes measuring a lot easier. Although the children's medicine dosing syringe method or measuring syrup works well.

Note that some places in the US and Canada have awfully hard mineralized water, so pick up a gallon of distilled water periodically, and use it for final washing and the Photo-Flo rinse, or you'll get horrible crud on your negatives.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by hdeyong View Post
    ....Rodinal looked like getting the nod, but if HC-110 gives the same characteristics as D-76, that's what I'm going with.
    Maybe both? It's only one extra bottle and both of them will easlily last for the entire trip and then keep going at home. They are very different devs, each giving their own characteristics to film.

Shooter
    35mm
    That's not a bad idea. Use some of each under similar conditions, and then later, sit back and look at them carefully, make a few prints, and see which one I like best. Both developers and the other concentrates are available in Toronto before we set out.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'd probably go with Diafine if I could get it.

Make a 1 litre batch (or your tank size plus say ~30%) before you go. Then you'll have 2 x 1 litre bottles (A and B solutions, reusable), plus enough fixer. You won't need to worry about temperature, and your timings don't need to be too accurate either.

Another alternative, already mentioned, is Cafenol. You can easily get whatever you need on the road.

Have fun!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Doesn't anyone use Tetenal Ultrafin liiquid these days?

It's much closer to a liquid D-76/ID-11 than HC-110 and should be available in France. It's my favourite of the various liquid developers I have tried.

Shooter
    35mm
    Yes, Tetenal UF is easily available here, and it's pretty cheap. I'm getting ready to order some supplies. so I'll get a small bottle and try it out.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
    I would pass on Rodinal if you are shooting HP5+. Too grainy and Rodinal is not the best developer for medium speed films or push processing.

If you are renting a car, I would just mix up a some D76 and fixer using gallon jugs of water and throw them in the trunk. Be sure to label them as "Film Developer - Do Not Consume"

HC110 was supposedly developed for photo journalists developing their rolls in hotel rooms around the world. It is a thick syrup and a bottle will develop a lot of film.

A big +1 on the above statements ^ ^.

Rodinal + high speed film is ime a real grain factory, better up with D76/HC110, a litre bottle of HC110 syrup lasts 'forever', just like rodinal.
    http://street-photos.net/ | http://felinik.com/ | http://www.facebook.com/jf.felinik

"The one with the most stuff when he dies wins"

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks, everybody. I'm going with HC-110, and small bottles of the other chems in concentrate. I think the only thing I'll have a stock solution of will be the fixer and the wash agent, which is no problem. I've just ordered some HC-110 and will develop about a dozen rolls to 'feel it out' before we leave. If it works out as well as I hope, I'll just stick with it as my main developer in the future.
    Last edited by hdeyong; 02-20-2013 at 12:04 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: addition

Shooter
    127 Format
    Try HC-110 at dilution B and H to see which you prefer.

If you really want D-76 you can get Clayton F-76+ which is a liquid D-76. Freestyle sells it as Arista Premium Liquid. A 1 liter bottle mixed 1+9 and used as a one-shot should do about 30 rolls.

Did you say what cities you are visiting?
    - Bill Lynch

Shooter
    35mm
    It's a minor league baseball/car and racing trip. The plans are: leave Bayfield, Ontario to Akron, OH, (BB), to Bowling Green KY, (Corvette Museum and BB), Memphis, (BB), Jackson, TN, (BB), Little Rock, AR, (BB), Oklahoma City, (BB), Tucumcari, NM, (Route 66), Albuquerque, (BB), Santa Fe, (nice place), Roswell, (UFO's went there, we may as well), Tuscon, (BB), Mesa, (not sure why), Phoenix, (BB), Las Vegas, (BB and Black Jack), Lake Elsinor, CA, (BB), Rancho Cucamonga, (BB and cool name), Pomona, (NHRA Museum), Los Angeles, (gotta see LA), Bakersfield, (BB and drag race), Fresno, (BB), Sacramento, (BB), San Francisco, (visit relative), Eugene, OR, (BB), Portland, (BB), Vancouver, BC, Calgary, AB, (visit family), Medicine Hat, Regina, Winnipeg, etc, working our way back to Bayfield. Forty days on the road.
    Really? An actual liquid D-76? Same results, same everything?
    Last edited by hdeyong; 02-20-2013 at 11:54 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: addition

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin