Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,198   Posts: 1,531,464   Online: 854

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

NEED LIQUID DEVELOPER FOR ROAD TRIP

In a couple of months, my wife and I will be on a 40 day road trip, doing a 'lap' of North America through the US and Canada. I'm planning on shooting about 40 rolls, and want to develop it as I go along. Having 40 rolls to do when I get back is bad enough, but then I have to fly back to France, which makes it worse. Besides, there's something adventurous about souping film in a motel bathroom.
    I generally use D-76, but I'd need to make up and carry 10 litres, which I don't want to do. It will be HP5+, mostly at 200, a little bit at 800.
    What's a good all round concentrate liquid developer for a situation like this?
    Last edited by hdeyong; 02-14-2013 at 02:11 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: clarification

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'd bring Rodinal (R09) - its really concentrated, usually 1:50, but also 1:100 or 1:25, depending on whatever.
    Check out the massive dev chart:
    http://www.digitaltruth.com/devchart...nal&mdc=Search
    Nicholai Nissen
    Kolding, Denmark
    nicholainissen@gmail.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Any highly concentrated one-shot developer would be fine.
    I would use R09 as well.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I'd go with something real easy to mix like DD-X (1+4).

Don't know where you are flying into but you will probably need to find a store that will have what you want on the shelf when you arrive.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    sprint developer ? its easy to use, and mixes 1:9
    or caffenol c, the ingredients are available at your local grocery store
    and its as easy as 8 oz. water + 4 tsp. instant coffee + 2 tsp. washing soda + 1/4 tsp vit c.
    i haven't used salt water to stabliize film instead of fixer but from all reports
    you just need a super saturated salt solution and it takes a few days ...
    and when you return home you can wash and refix them.
    no need to take any photochemistry with you on your trip
    Last edited by jnanian; 02-14-2013 at 07:23 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    im empty, good luck

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Hc110 would be another choice. Or just buy the 1L bags of d76 and whenever you need to soup some film just mix one of the 1L bags and roll with it until its gone.

Shooter
    35mm
    You're pretty brave to travel around to different hotels with chemicals souping in the bathroom! I'd be nervous that someone in housekeeping would report me for suspected Meth-lab activity. I know it would be a challenge to develop 40 rolls when you get back, but I wouldn't want to have to keep up with the negatives, chemicals, & gear in a car full of travel bags. It sounds as though you'll be spending most of the trip in the bathroom, anyway;-)

I'm sorry, I do not intend to be rude - I wish you the best on your travels!

Shooter
    35mm
    If I was going to do this and wanted a liquid developer, I'd use Rodinal. I'd carry a bottle of TF-4 fixer as well - this cuts down on the other chemistry somewhat by eliminating stop bath and hypo-clear. But, caffenol is not a bad idea, the easy-to-find ingredients aren't likely to set off any false alarms with hotel staff. Film developing equipment might seem a little "funny-looking" to the uninitiated, so I would keep it in my luggage when not in use, just to avoid any unexpected conversations with the local authorities.

Hate to sound all paranoid about it. :/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by rthomas View Post
    If I was going to do this and wanted a liquid developer, I'd use Rodinal. I'd carry a bottle of TF-4 fixer as well - this cuts down on the other chemistry somewhat by eliminating stop bath and hypo-clear. But, caffenol is not a bad idea, the easy-to-find ingredients aren't likely to set off any false alarms with hotel staff. Film developing equipment might seem a little "funny-looking" to the uninitiated, so I would keep it in my luggage when not in use, just to avoid any unexpected conversations with the local authorities.

Hate to sound all paranoid about it. :/

i'd label all your stuff " photographic film developer " " "photography film developing tank " " photography fixer"

whenever i send sumatranol kits to people i label the heck out of the ingredients and packaging
    these days people have wild imaginations. and seeing they are finding meth labs in golf course porta pottys
    it wouldn't be out of the ordinary for someone who has no clue to ... have no clue

Shooter
    35mm
    Another vote for DD-X. It works wonderfully with HP5+ at 400; I've never tried it at 200 but there are times on the Ilford website for 800. It is available in the U.S., especially in a camera shop near a college that has a photo or art curriculum. Good luck.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin