Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,674   Posts: 1,481,883   Online: 1139

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    [QUOTE=Mahler_one;1461999

However....isn't it peculiar that a company as well known and which sells so much film, i.e., Freestyle, would have no fresh Kodak film in stock, and cannot get any? Puzzling.[/QUOTE]

There is probably an issue with an intervening distributor.

I wonder if B & H have "distributor" status themselves?
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Has TriX in 8x10 be discontinued?

If you've ever been to B&H you'd understand. My guess is, they have exact counts of what the Tri-X 8x10 purchase per year is, and probably do a special order THEMSELVES to keep it in stock, there's SO many photographers in NYC and they are very good at knowing exactly what their customer base wants. I'm sure they did the math and special ordered a certain amount. They also still have 620 rolls...

They always put the expired stock in a special category so anything you see listed is "fresh" stock and not at all expired.

I don't know if they freeze it, but it's more than likely they do.

PS I agree with the statement about supporting Ilford.

I buy Acros for the reciprocity characteristics and price, if Ilford had a film that matched that, I would not buy any Fuji, and if Tmax becomes more expensive than Delta400 I'll be ALL ilford. (Speaking of 120 film prices). The only thing that could make ilford any better is if they matched fuji's 120 rolls with their easy pull wrapper and their instant catch reels which are super convenient especially since I shoot in a lot of environments where I'm wearing gloves, it's MUCH easier to grab a tab and not have to fiddle with cutting a wrapper or licking paper, and much easier to catch that leader then have to make sure it wraps properly...

I know there are patent issues ilford probably wants to avoid but I hope they pick up on this because those are some really useful features...

And if they would make PanF+ in 4x5... AND 70mm perf... hehe...

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

HI Matt:

I often thought that B&H had some special status with Kodak ( and perhaps Ilford as well ) because B&H prices were usually somewhat less than the same film sold elsewhere.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Has TriX in 8x10 be discontinued?

Quote Originally Posted by Mahler_one View Post
    HI Matt:

I often thought that B&H had some special status with Kodak ( and perhaps Ilford as well ) because B&H prices were usually somewhat less than the same film sold elsewhere.
    B&H and Freestyle both buy a LOT of film, so they both have a special bulk purchase status with a lot of companies, not sure if theirs is better than Freestyle but I think they probably have more storage capacity for film than freestyle might. So they might buy in larger quantities at one time which often gives any company a discount per purchase even on the wholesale side. I recognize this isn't something that my local lab can do, but my local lab claims THEIR purchase price for Ilford PanF+ wholesale is $6/ roll of 120, when it's cheaper than that retail at B&H at around $5/roll so how can I buy it from my local place at $8-$9/roll? I honestly don't believe my local photo shop when they say that, I wonder how much Simon would be willing to disclose about that here... Probably nothing... I would buy from my local place if the ilford wasn't extremely more expensive than B&H.

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Regina Canada (sounds more fun than it is)
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    I recognize this isn't something that my local lab can do, but my local lab claims THEIR purchase price for Ilford PanF+ wholesale is $6/ roll of 120, when it's cheaper than that retail at B&H at around $5/roll so how can I buy it from my local place at $8-$9/roll? I honestly don't believe my local photo shop when they say that,
    Having worked at a camera store, I can say they are telling you the truth. FP4+ in 5x7 sheets sells to Canadian stores for $56 a box, which they resell for $72 - B&H sells a box for $44. Tri-X in 120 sells to Canadian stores for $6 a roll, resold for $7.99 - B&H sells for $4.95. B&H sells more film every quarter than Canada buys in a year, so I am not surprised they get a better rate than smaller stores can.
    Once a photographer is convinced that the camera can lie and that, strictly speaking, the vast majority of photographs are "camera lies," inasmuch as they tell only part of a story or tell it in a distorted form, half the battle is won. Once he has conceded that photography is not a "naturalistic" medium of rendition and that striving for "naturalism" in a photograph is futile, he can turn his attention to using a camera to make more effective pictures.

Andreas Feininger

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I hate to disagree Brian. I called Glazer's a few hours ago. They have NO TriX available for delivery today, but might have more in subsequently .
    I'll walk over there after work and take a look. When I was in there last week the fridge had at least 10 boxes.

BTW, did you speak to someone in the film/darkroom section?
    Last edited by Brian C. Miller; 02-15-2013 at 02:34 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Thanks Brian.

Thanks Kevin. I am guessing that Canadian customs keeps the products that are shipped from the US out, or charges very high fees? If not, how can Canadian photographic supply stores survive...or do they?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    Have you called Kodak to ask?

Or send an email here: profilm@kodak.com
    I emailed them, here is the info...

My question:
    Andy to: profilm@kodak.com
    02/14/2013 05:23 PM
    Hi -

Is Tri-X 320 and Tmax 100 for 8x10 a special order item or will it continue to be supplied as normal? There are rumors on the Internet that they were discontinued and only special order going forward?

Thanks,
    Andy
    Reply from Kodak

On Feb 15, 2013, at 8:23 AM, profilm@kodak.com wrote:

Dear Mr. X,

All the active catalog numbers for 2013 are now listed on the Kodak Professional Films web page on Kodak.com.

Likewise, the special-order sheet films are also listed, including the two 8x10 size B&W films you mentioned in your note. These are available through U.S. based K.B. Canham Cameras. There is a link on the page to the Canham website.

Hope this information is helpful.
    I believe s/he is referring to the info here:
    http://www.kodak.com/global/en/profe...?pq-path=13319

Thanks Thomas for the tip! I don't shoot 8x10 but I cringe when I see discontinuation rumors of any film/paper!
    Andy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks Kevin. I am guessing that Canadian customs keeps the products that are shipped from the US out, or charges very high fees? If not, how can Canadian photographic supply stores survive...or do they?
    There are almost no Canadian duties charged on US manufactured goods, due to NAFTA.

The high costs we suffer from are due to distribution costs and the lack of "scale" in the Canadian retail markets.

When Kodak was its own distributor, Kodak products could be obtained easily and at reasonable cost.

That is no longer the case.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin