Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,224   Posts: 1,532,590   Online: 919

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thanks for taking the time and making the effort to gather the information. Very, very appreciated.

So....as I understand the current situation, TriX 320 in 8x10 is now only available by special order?

Not discontinued, but "harder" to purchase?

However, as is the case with TMax 400, perhaps B and H will continue to have the film available. As discussed, B and H must order film in very large quantities, and as has been pointed out, store such films for eventual sale. However, if the price at B and H is similar to that available by special purchase, then no obvious problem, correct? Why go to Keith if B and H has one's preferred Kodak 8x10 film at the same price? However, if B and H decides not to purchase in large amounts and store the film then all bets are off.

One must suspect that it is surely time to very seriously consider the alternatives, i.e., Ilford, Foma, or eventually, Adox CHS and Pan 400-all in 8x10 of course. Considerably less money, and readily available at almost any time from multiple sources.

I am accelerating my migration to Ilford HP5 and FP4. The difference in contact prints on Azo/Lodima using Amidol made from negatives between such Ilford films and Kodak's are, to my eyes, not different enough to merit the added stress of wondering about the availability of 8x10 sheets-and there is always the noted price difference. Naturally others will feel very much different.

Thankfully those friends who use 4x5 sheets are currently unaffected.

OK. Thanks for the clarification.

Regina Canada (sounds more fun than it is)
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Matt beat me to it but generally, I can ship from the states for about 30% less than buying from a Canadian supplier, even after the shipping and duties are included. Most stores have agreements with manufacturers and cannot buy from anybody but official suppliers - thus, Nikon lens caps are $7-8 more than off eBay but if Nikon found out a store was buying caps from anybody but them, they would pull the distribution agreement for all Nikon products. In doing so, any camera or item will not carry warranty from Nikon (all of the major manufacturers have similar agreements). Nikon Canada won't work on a Nikon camera which is not purchased in Canada, even if you are willing to pay 100% of the costs, so being an official store is a big deal. Costco is not an official supplier of almost anyone (in Canada, they are official suppliers of Nikon in the States), which is why any camera, TV or electronic device only has Costco's warranty, not a manufacturers warranty.

So, for film, there is not a lot of market in Canada for film compared to the USA (we are 1/10th the population) and stores would never risk losing official supplier status by going outside of official channels. Just economies of scale. I was looking at a lamp on Amazon and it was $21 in the States, same lamp on Amazon's Canadian site is $67.
    Last edited by Kevin Kehler; 02-15-2013 at 10:27 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Once a photographer is convinced that the camera can lie and that, strictly speaking, the vast majority of photographs are "camera lies," inasmuch as they tell only part of a story or tell it in a distorted form, half the battle is won. Once he has conceded that photography is not a "naturalistic" medium of rendition and that striving for "naturalism" in a photograph is futile, he can turn his attention to using a camera to make more effective pictures.

Andreas Feininger

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Here is another example of the price BS.:
    http://www.amazon.ca/Kodak-T-MAX-Spe...0995496&sr=8-7

Compared to : http://freestylephoto.biz/1397538-Ko...on!?cat_id=402

What would be your choice ?

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Has TriX in 8x10 be discontinued?

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Kehler View Post
    Matt beat me to it but generally, I can ship from the states for about 30% less than buying from a Canadian supplier, even after the shipping and duties are included. Most stores have agreements with manufacturers and cannot buy from anybody but official suppliers - thus, Nikon lens caps are $7-8 more than off eBay but if Nikon found out a store was buying caps from anybody but them, they would pull the distribution agreement for all Nikon products. In doing so, any camera or item will not carry warranty from Nikon (all of the major manufacturers have similar agreements). Nikon Canada won't work on a Nikon camera which is not purchased in Canada, even if you are willing to pay 100% of the costs, so being an official store is a big deal. Costco is not an official supplier of almost anyone (in Canada, they are official suppliers of Nikon in the States), which is why any camera, TV or electronic device only has Costco's warranty, not a manufacturers warranty.

So, for film, there is not a lot of market in Canada for film compared to the USA (we are 1/10th the population) and stores would never risk losing official supplier status by going outside of official channels. Just economies of scale. I was looking at a lamp on Amazon and it was $21 in the States, same lamp on Amazon's Canadian site is $67.
    I <3 Lamp

Hehe (old guys may not get the reference lol).

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Has TriX in 8x10 be discontinued?

Quote Originally Posted by dances_w_clouds View Post
    Here is another example of the price BS.:
    http://www.amazon.ca/Kodak-T-MAX-Spe...0995496&sr=8-7

Compared to : http://freestylephoto.biz/1397538-Ko...on!?cat_id=402

What would be your choice ?
    Fairly certain that's a mistake, one I'll for $50? I think they were probably inputting the 4 or 5 roll box price

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    OK, I dropped by Glazer's.

There has been a run on fast 8x10 film. I got the last box of HP5. Of course they are set for 4x5 film. They are good for Fuji slide and Kodak negative emulsions. They've also received a shipment of Rollei infrared, in 4x5 and 120.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    On Feb 15, 2013, at 8:23 AM, profilm@kodak.com wrote:

Dear Mr. X,

All the active catalog numbers for 2013 are now listed on the Kodak Professional Films web page on Kodak.com.

Hope this information is helpful.

WHERE are those catalog-numbers??

My experience was that for a price quotation Kodak sends you to their distributor/retailer, but they ask for a catalogue number before they disclose any prices, and send you back to Kodak to ask to disclose that catalog number. As friendly people at Kodak Rochester are I don't like this kind of play.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    WHERE are those catalog-numbers??

My experience was that for a price quotation Kodak sends you to their distributor/retailer, but they ask for a catalogue number before they disclose any prices, and send you back to Kodak to ask to disclose that catalog number. As friendly people at Kodak Rochester are I don't like this kind of play.
    I think they mean :

http://www.kodak.com/global/en/profe...mCatalog.blind
    and
    http://www.kodak.com/global/en/profe...pecOrder.blind

Links available via :
    http://www.kodak.com/global/en/profe...lmsIndex.jhtml
    Last edited by henk@apug; 02-16-2013 at 04:05 AM. Click to view previous post history.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thank you so much!

I always looked for such a listing. It would be great if Kodak could now do so with other products or finally release a pdf of their current catalogue.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin