Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,209   Posts: 1,531,965   Online: 1155

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Has TriX in 8x10 be discontinued?

Please be sure that I am NOT trying to start any unfounded rumors.

I am simply reporting information provided to me by others.

I noted on the Freestyle site that no Kodak 8x10 black and white film is available. A person on the staff told me that TriX 320 and Tmax 100 in 8x10 has been discontinued. We have read that one can purchase TMax 400 8x10 as a special order at several different sites. However, Kodak already announced that TMax 400 8x10 would no longer be routinely available.

At the suggestion of the amazing sales staff at Freestyle I called B&H. They have TriX 320 in 8x10 on their web site, but have no information as to the expiry date- nor did the sales person have information about the film being discontinued. B&H and Adorama might simply be selling from stock that was purchased weeks ago. I have no way of knowing, and the helpful sales person had no information to provide either.

Anyone able to find out the answer, i.e., have TriX and Tmax 100 in 8x10 been discontinued?

AFAIK, Kodak 4x5 black and white film is still readily available. However, if (and thus far it is only a BIG IF ) the 8x10 Kodak TriX 320 and TMax 100 is no longer being made, how much longer will the 4x5 be available?

Once again so that all are aware that I am NOT starting rumors of any kind.

Elliot
    Last edited by Mahler_one; 02-14-2013 at 02:43 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: typos

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Have you called Kodak to ask?

Or send an email here: profilm@kodak.com
    Last edited by Thomas Bertilsson; 02-14-2013 at 02:51 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I wouldn't expect too much information from that approach. They have never provided me with information, either correct or incorrect.

Maybe some else would have better luck than have I.

NO Tom, but might be a reasonable suggestion. Thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It may be a special order item. K.B. Canham Cameras takes special orders for all sorts of Kodak films at all sorts of sizes, you might check there: http://www.canhamcameras.com/

There's normally a minimum order and he does group purchases on such things.

I know for a fact he recently sold out an order of 8x10 TX, if you don't want to buy the minimum you might check in on when he plans to do another group buy.

Yes, I know about Keith. However, one was always able to buy XXX as needed from Freestyle and elsewhere. Moreover, interestingly B&H has Tmax 400 8x10 available on their site-no special order needed.

The situation regarding the Kodak black and white 8x10 films is confusing....why does B&H have a supply, and Freestyle- which likely sells a tremendous amount of film- have no Kodak 8x10 B&W available?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I can't speak to B&H vs Freestyle but I think Canham recently said that 8x10 TX was about to become a special order only item.

In light of what we suspect has transpired, Keith's suggestion regarding special orders makes complete sense.

So, the situation MIGHT be that for 8x10 ( and larger formats ) Kodak black and white film will be available by special order only. Ilford special order for unusual, unique, or special formats, but 8x10 and 11x14 will always be available. If one needs film on the" spur of the moment" OR from a source that is dedicated to analog photographers, then the choices are: Ilford ( wonderful film and a company that MUST be supported by those of us devoted to analog photography. For the record, I have changed to Ilford HP5 and FP4 and find both films excellent in every way. ILford MG FB paper, their rapid fixer, their line of developers, etc., etc. ), Foma, some "off-brands" available at Freestyle and elsewhere ( good quality, but uncertain manufacture ), and eventually Adox. Some Japanese black and white sheet films might also be considered, but others will have to report why and how such films are superior to those sheet films available from Ilford.

As long as we have the three choices HP5, FP4, Delta 100 ) from Ilford then 8x10 analog photographers are well provisioned. The days of multiple choices for film are apparently ending if not already over. Many predicted as such. Be grateful that one company is still standing, and dedicated to analog photography.

Support the company that supports you....Ilford must not be allowed to wither.

Happy Valentine's Day to all.

Elliot

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Both Glazer's Camera and B&H Photo are carrying current, fresh Tri-X in 8x10. You could also check with Badger Graphic, too.

Kodak has gone to a special-order-only model for all sheet film in 8x10 and above. I do know that last year when the announcement went out, 8x10 TriX sold out, then it came in, sold out, and now there's a good amount in Glazer's fridge. I'm not sure if Kodak made a big cut and then distributed it, or what's happening behind the scenes. Anyways, Canham Camera is handling special orders, and they have some order status information on their Facebook page.

But as long as Kodak is making any sheet film at all, then it will be cut in 8x10 sizes if enough people want it.

As for Fuji Acros 8x10, that's available from Japan Exposures, but it isn't cheap. Acros is really nice because it has a finer grain than TMax 100, and has awesome reciprocity non-failure.
    Last edited by Brian C. Miller; 02-14-2013 at 06:00 PM. Click to view previous post history.

I hate to disagree Brian. I called Glazer's a few hours ago. They have NO TriX available for delivery today, but might have more in subsequently .

Yes, B&H has TriX now. We shall see what transpires in the future. I hope that you are correct with your inference that TriX will always be available for those of us who cannot order film in advance and store such film in in our freezers.

Yes, thankfully Badger has TriX in stock. I appreciate the sourcing information very much.

Thanks for the information on Fuji film. I wondered how such compared to Ilford, etc.

However....isn't it peculiar that a company as well known and which sells so much film, i.e., Freestyle, would have no fresh Kodak film in stock, and cannot get any? Puzzling.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin