Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,928   Posts: 1,585,174   Online: 796

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole
    I think everybody has had most of those "buggerups" happen at least once - and those that haven't are merely overdue.

I usually pull the darkslide only about half way out, and place left index and little finger on the ends of the film grooves to guide the film in. This works great even withh 5x7" film, especially when I'm confusing myself with four 5x7" and four 13x18cm holders. Same confusion with 9x12cm and 4x5" holders, by the way...

As to tray developing, throw away the tongs and get a pack of surgical gloves instead.
    Hi !
    Instead of surgical gloves, which are often made of Latex (which cause allergia and is not impervious to some nasty photographic chemicals) try to find gloves, like surgical gloves in shape, but made of Nitrile. They often come in pale colors (green or blue) and are a little more expensive than the surgical Latex ones. But they are more resistant and you will re use them for a long time, so a packet will go a long way. It is said that Nitrile won't give you allergia of any kind... (they said so about latex years ago, so ...) and that Nitrile is impervious for a lot more chemicals than Latex. As they are often not for surgical use, they are cheapper to produce than the latex one, so the difference cost in material is partly compensated for.
    I've found them in my local supermarket, for a few Euros...
    Give them a try !

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by zenrhino
    But one question more: How do you manage to grab the film in the tray with the tongs? I couldnt get hold of it to save my life. =P
    Well, I don't sweat the tongs myself. If I'm doing tray development I just use my fingers. Nitrile gloves help if you don't mind using them. Personally, I don't bother. I've been doing this for a number of years (more than I'd care to admit) and never had a problem using conventional MQ and PQ developers. If I were using pyro I'd reconsider using the gloves.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    If I dont use gloves, my girlfriend will shoot me. But I can't use latex, since working as a paramedic and later as a chef has sensitized me to latex.

I think I can get a box of nitrile gloves at the local drugstore, though.

Thanks for the advice!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

gloves

For Nitrile gloves check with Lab Safety. 800-356-0783 I use those and some heavier type gloves for general work and cleanup in the darkroom.. Won't work without gloves anymore. I just do too much processing
    Peter

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin