Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,328   Posts: 1,537,099   Online: 961

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format

New method of developing sheet film needed.

I have been using Pyrocat Hd in tubes with Fp4+, the drawback is I can develop only 3 sheets at a time.

After returning from a trip where I exposed 400 sheets of film I need a way to do more than 3 sheets at a time.

I was thinking of using tubes with no end caps, vertically in a bucket. I figure I could bundle 9 tubes together and agitate vertically.

Is there anyone here using this method who can offer some guidance? Are there problems inherent with this type of agitation? What agitation schedule do you use?

Thanks
    Chris

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    400 sheets ?! Oh my, you're in trouble. Good luck !

Shooter
    Large Format
    I assume you have a darkroom. Otherwise, this is going to be very difficult.

To answer your actual question, lifting the bundle of tubes out and replacing them back in about 3 times every 30 seconds would be consistent with my agitation in tanks. I'd suggest running some tests, especially since you have so much film to process.

Have you considered tanks and hangers? With 1 gallon tanks and 4x5 film you can easily develop 24 sheets at a time.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I do have hangers but I'm concerned about surge marks at the edges. The hangers I have fit one sheet inside a frame.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I use 4-up hangers for 4x5 film (it is an 8x10, 1 gallon set of tanks). I don't have issues with surge marks, but I have heard of them. I may be slow or downright ponderous about moving the hangers, though. It generally takes me 2-3 seconds to do a single agitation.

If I had 400 sheets to process at once, I'd even consider using 3 1/2 gallon tanks, but I only have a couple of those.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You could look at Alister's nitrogen burst systems. He's an advertiser here. Of course, that's expensive.
    For hangers in tanks, look at the threads on minimal agitation schemes. Less agitation, less chance for surge marks.
    You could also learn to develop multiple sheets in trays. A lot of people handle 10-12 sheets of 8x10 in trays, though 6 is the most I've managed.
    juan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Tray shuffling would be the most efficient in terms of the number of sheets you can do at one time, although this is a technique that requires testing and practice. Another alternative if you have 16x20 trays is to make yourself a "slosher" which should be able to accomodate 6-8 sheets of 4x5 film. It is a relatively easy, flexible way to get nice, even development, and eliminates some of the risks associated with hand shuffling (eg scratches). The downside of course is it is not a daylight process.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    It is not that difficult to learn to handle 20-25 sheets of 4x5 in a 16x20 tray. You will need that big a tray in order to have adequate developer for that many w/o exhausting the developer. Start with 10 -12 and work your way up.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Holy cow, shuffling 20 sheets??? Impressive!

Shooter
    Large Format
    I should have mentioned they are 5x7 sheets.

I'm aware of the nitrogen burst method and might consider that since the learning curve doesn't seem so daunting as shuffeling sheets in a tray.

I have used minimal agitation with 5 sheets in hangers. It's too unpredictable. I try to agitate slowly, doing three up and down movements in ten seconds but still have problems.

Thanks for the replies
    Chris

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin