Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,956   Posts: 1,522,909   Online: 1199

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael R 1974 View Post
    Seriously?

First, the MSDS indicates this is a Metol-Hydroquinone developer. Second, it does not makes sense to say Metol-only developers are prone to any kind of sudden death. The shelf life of a developer depends on the entire formula. Even packaging is an important variable.
    Rollei RLS is identical to CG512 and similar to Perceptol and Microdol-X. All these developers give slightly finer grain by giving some speed.
    ---
    Uwe Pilz

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Perceptol and Microdol-X are based on D-23, purportedly with slightly less Metol, and the addition of Sodium Chloride. Microdol-X included an anti-silvering/plating agent.

RLS is a MQ developer, which is not the same thing. Further, there is nothing inherently abnormal about the keeping properties of D-23 type developers once mixed, not are they prone to any kind of inherent "sudden death".

RLS is a different formula and is packaged as a liquid. A one-part liquid developer requires careful formulation and packaging if it is to have a long shelf life.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by pentaxuser View Post
    I am sure that B&H and then Rollei will want to know about this. It may not help you other than in terms of compensation but it should help others. If Rollei has produced totally defective developer then in the quantities it is made you can be sure that it wasn't just your container. Maybe 100's of others are experiencing the same issue or are about to ruin their films in the same way.

By the way I keep hens and will never feed them by hand again. Next time it is the lion tamer's chair when I go into the henhouse

Let us know what B&H has to say.

pentaxuser
    I'll be back in NYC in a few weeks and will return the developer. Can anyone recommend a better place for film in NYC or am I better off ordering online from freestyle etc. ?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Bundesphotograph View Post
    Did you shake the developer properly before using?
    Thats very important with Rollei RLS.
    yup...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    Do you want to know what I think happened?

Nope.

Developer will likely not smell like ammonia unless fixer was poured into it. Think about this for a minute. How did fixer get into the developer, or developer get into the fixer, and how did that affect film developing?
    But seriously, the four bottles were shrink wrapped and I didn't have any fix near them or on my hands. The smell comes from freshly opened bottles.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fatso View Post
    But seriously, the four bottles were shrink wrapped and I didn't have any fix near them or on my hands. The smell comes from freshly opened bottles.
    That throws my theory right out the window, then.

If your developer smells like ammonia, then something is probably wrong. Test it by using a small piece of film that's been exposed to light before developing something important.

I hope you find a solution to your problem.

- Thomas
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Large Format
    hi , i have the same problem just few seconds ago !

rollei 80s 50 iso in rls 1+4 24°c 12.5 min . I believe that is a failure in the composition of the developer in the factory... the rollei film is the agfa aerial film aviphot pan 80 .... and is a wonderful film (in rodinal) .

So film-fix-stop from agfa gavaert (belgium) and developer from rollei (cg 512 formula) ..... it's the developer !

Shooter
    35mm
    I wonder if the original OP, fatso, ever contacted Rollei? If he didn't then not telling Rollei of his issue hasn't done Rollei or other customers such as Aldo any favours.

Frustrating when an OP doesn't bother to gives us closure to an issue on which collectively APUGers devoted their time

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Large Format
    Thanks Pentaxuser , i live near (30KM) the italian dealer .. so i'll make some inquiry !

i believe that is an old problems with some Lot ( in italian i mean lotto ... in english is better stock ? )
    i love the infinity life of rodinal .. for that !

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Aldo M. View Post
    in english is better stock ? )
    "batch" is probably better

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin