Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,927   Posts: 1,556,821   Online: 858

Shooter
    Multi Format

Wash water temperature?

Hi folks -

I just finished souping some Kentmere 400 in D76. Temperature was 66F, so I adjusted development time per a handy chart. They look good.

My question is: My tapwater measures about 54F. I seem to remember from chem classes ages ago that the speed of a reaction doubles with a 10C rise in temp, and halves with a 10C drop. Is there a need to adjust the wash time? It really isn't a reaction, but....any thoughts out there?

In the same train of thought, as I remember high tempertures may cause reticulation of the emulsion. While I've never seen any evidence of thermal damage cause by a temperature drop, might I be courting disaster by having a 12F drop?

Thanks!

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GRHazelton View Post
    Hi folks -

I just finished souping some Kentmere 400 in D76. Temperature was 66F, so I adjusted development time per a handy chart. They look good.

My question is: My tapwater measures about 54F. I seem to remember from chem classes ages ago that the speed of a reaction doubles with a 10C rise in temp, and halves with a 10C drop. Is there a need to adjust the wash time? It really isn't a reaction, but....any thoughts out there?

In the same train of thought, as I remember high tempertures may cause reticulation of the emulsion. While I've never seen any evidence of thermal damage cause by a temperature drop, might I be courting disaster by having a 12F drop?

Thanks!
    Reticulation is difficult to achieve in modern film and a water temperature between about 25 and 30C combined with 10 or more changes of water will wash your film more quickly than 20 minutes of continuous running water at 20C. However, I don't do this, what's the rush?
    Last edited by cliveh; 02-15-2013 at 03:38 PM. Click to view previous post history.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Old fashioned reticulation still occurs with some films, and with others you'll still get problems. Wash at the same temperature as the rest of the process if you wanthigh quality results.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    To be sure of avoiding problems I'd simply warm about 2 L of water to the same temp as the dev and use an extension of the Ilford wash sequence which is 5,10,15, 20, 15,10,5 inversions and dump.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks, all! I think I'll just add a little warm water from the tap.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin