Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,223   Posts: 1,532,508   Online: 1107

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by adelorenzo View Post
    I only drink distilled water, or rainwater, and only pure grain alcohol.
    While minerals in water may have an adverse effect on the film development process your body needs them. A little calcium is good for your bones. Try spring water.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerald C Koch View Post
    From a similar thread not so long ago some people in Europe pay exorbitant prices for distilled water if it is availale at all. .
    Why is this? In some European countries it's a pain in the @$$ to get distilled water and in the US it is sold all over the place by the gallon (milk and petrol are sold by the gallon as well). I use distilled water at various points in the processing workflow. What is everyone else using it for?!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Ash,

I understand you are/might be coming to Melbourne early March. You have to look me up if you have the time and I can show you the set up and the darkroom.
    Cheers - Andy C
    ---------------------

16mm Cine, 35mm, 120, 5x4 & 7x5.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald C Koch View Post
    ??? NO on all counts.

The temporary hardness in ground water comes from the presence of soluble calcium bicarbonate. When the water is boiled briefly this compound decomposes to form calcium carbonate which is insoluble. All cacium salts are effectively removed from the water. Calcium in water used in photographic solutions can causes problems with high sulfite containing developers like D-76 where it precipitates out as calcium sulfite and in carbinate containing developers like D-72.

Magnesium compounds are soluble and only affect water when soaps are used for washing. Both calcium and magnesium form insoluble soaps which stick to cloth fibers. Magesium salts in water are not a concern in photography.
    Thank you for informing me of this.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxleyroad View Post
    Ash,

I understand you are/might be coming to Melbourne early March. You have to look me up if you have the time and I can show you the set up and the darkroom.
    Its the easter weekend - Not sure if I have time, as I am travelling with someone else, but if I do, I'll be in contact!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hoffy View Post
    Its the easter weekend - Not sure if I have time, as I am travelling with someone else, but if I do, I'll be in contact!
    Bother, the Easter w/e is when the family and I are out of town - up in Mildura. Next time hey.
    Cheers - Andy C
    ---------------------

16mm Cine, 35mm, 120, 5x4 & 7x5.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin