Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,556   Posts: 1,573,158   Online: 772

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

is rainwater comparable to demineralised water?

As the title suggests, is captured rain water comparable to demin water?

My father used to catch rain water on the back lawn in plastic containers and always told me that it was just as good.

Was he right?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Precipitation naturally condenses around impurities in the air, dust, ash, and other stuff. Downstream of power plants in the eastern USA we famously had/have acid rain. So the answer is that it depends on what it's condensing around and pulling out of the air.
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Demineralised water is more pure than rainwater is more pure than tapwater.

If you live in an urban environment, it's closer to tapwater from absorbing carbon dioxide (turns it to weak carbonic acid) and etc from pollution in the air.
    If you live in a rural place, it's much closer to demineralised water.

Either way, wait out the first 10 minutes or so of rain to 'wash out' the air, and then collect water after that. It's the cleanest you're going to get.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by quejai View Post
    Demineralised water is more pure than rainwater is more pure than tapwater.

If you live in an urban environment, it's closer to tapwater from absorbing carbon dioxide (turns it to weak carbonic acid) and etc from pollution in the air.
    If you live in a rural place, it's much closer to demineralised water.

Either way, wait out the first 10 minutes or so of rain to 'wash out' the air, and then collect water after that. It's the cleanest you're going to get.
    OK, so my father was kind of right, because we lived on a farm in a rural area, 150KM away from the closest city.

But for me....OK, I suppose I would also then need to consider filtration, which in the end might just end up being just as easy to buy the 4 litre bottles from the super market.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Even if you live in an area with very hard water you can soften it by vigorously boiling tapwater for 5 minutes and allowing it to stand overnight. The temporary hardness (calcium ions) will precipitate out. The permanent hardness (magnessium ios) have no effect on photographic uses. The next day decant or filter off of the clear portion for use in developers.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    35mm
    I collect and use rain water, (we live a good distance from any cities), and have had good results. We have a lot of limestone in the water here, so I use the rain for a final rinse and with the wetting solution. I'm pretty sure the film is drying a lot cleaner. But, as a couple of people have noted, I wouldn't even think of it in a big city.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I only drink distilled water, or rainwater, and only pure grain alcohol.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by adelorenzo View Post
    I only drink ...... pure grain alcohol.
    Fixed it for you! (OK, maybe I am thinking about me and maybe this is wishful thinking!)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Another source for what is basically distilled water is the ice build-up you have to chip away from a freezer.
    (De-frosting a non, frost-free freezer, of course). If you're in the city, I'd just buy the distilled bottled water.
    I suppose the photography folks living in Bermuda have it easy, (for distilled/demineralized water),
    as the Island's entire water supply is captured rain water.

Marc

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Acid rain falls everywhere. Rain water is hardly what I would consider pure chemically.
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin