Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,041   Posts: 1,560,689   Online: 1016

Shooter
    Medium Format

First time pushing Tri-X, happy with the results

Went to see a friend's band last night and brought my Pentax 645NII. I loaded Tri-X and planned to push two stops to 1600. With a 200mm F4 lens wide open I was shooting 1/30 hand held and hoping like hell I could get something usable.

My usual routine is HC-110. 1:50 for 8 minutes, invert four times every minute. So for two extra stops I went for 16 minutes and it seemed to work out. Here are a few samples of how it turned out:

Meat the Vegans by Anthony DeLorenzo, on Flickr

There were a handful of photographers shooting digital at high ISOs. I've seen some great shots but I'm happy with how mine turned out as I feel they have a much different look to them.

Also shot half a roll of chrome (Provia 400X) it will be interesting to see how that comes out when I get it processed.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Way to go.
    I bet you got some looks with the Pentax or the digi guys didn't know what it was.

This type photography can handle some deep shadows so pushing isn't as critical.
    Looks like you used some skills to know when to trip the shutter to get 1/30 "freeze frames".

Sometimes you can just use the motion to your advantage with some practice.
    Nice work
    Happy shooting

Shooter
    Multi Format
    good work!

You can also try Diafine at EI 1000-1600. It's a two-bath dev that tames the contrast nicely.

Acufine can get you to EI 6400 if you desire, although contrast & grain suffer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I find that the Pentax 645NII handles incredibly well handheld with exposures longer than 1/60, 1/30, etc, but I'm amazed that you pulled that off with a 200mm lens! This I shot with mine at 1/8th handheld with my 75mm lens: http://monochrome.me.uk/blog/p/1215

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Looks great! I have some Tri-X (120 & 35mm) I gonna to try to remember what you did.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hey adelorenzo, very nice. Congrats.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks everyone. I was pleasantly surprised by how sharp they are at 1/30, obviously not pin sharp but good enough to use. I've never shot under those kinds of conditions, it was a bit of a gamble but it worked out. I had thought of trying stand developing to bring out some more shadow detail but I've never pushed film or done stand... So I figured keep it simple to start out with.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Nice work.
    I've used the Pentax 645 wtih Tri-X quite a bit in small, dimly lit clubs. I use either Acufine or Diafine as the developer for that ype of work.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin