Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,768   Posts: 1,484,198   Online: 842

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Double-X 100' rolls Special Order??

Quote Originally Posted by sepiareverb View Post
    So, do let me know when you've gotten those 100' rolls spun up for us and maybe I'll get one.
    Sure I have a 700-800ft in the fridge. Special price for you $100 + shipping. I'll even hand draw a special label for you.

Shooter
    35mm
    BTW, it is tradional for 100ft rolls of 35mm movie film to come on a "#10 Spool" AKA a "Daylight Spool" or an "Eyemo Spool".

The movie maker could load this into the camera under subduesd light and shoot off the fogged film at the start of the roll. (about 5 seconds worth) at the end of the roll there is also a bit of extra film to be fogged to protect the roll on the way from the camera to the can. The spool does not come in a bag, but instaed has a paper band arround the film.

When Kodak is quoting on 100ft rolls of 5222 thay are probaly figuing on the metal spool, and the "customer allowance" of ten extra feet of film for leaders and trailers. Kodak themselves package it in the dark so the extra film is useable. (they used to perforate the emulsion number on the leader, but they proably have given up on that these days).

The 400 and 1000 ft rolls come on a core in a bag nside a can. (the 1000ft might come on a 3 inch core, the 400 on a 2 inch core)
    Charles MacDonald
    aa508@ncf.ca
    I still live just beyond the fringe in Stittsville

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    But such a reel with flanges might not fit the bulk loader.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Double-X 100' rolls Special Order??

You guys are silly... That's really all I have to say...

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    But such a reel with flanges might not fit the bulk loader.
    Fuji bulk slide film comes on those metal spools and in fact there are issues with using them in bulk loaders. I know with the Lloyd's loaders, the ribs on the inside of the removable side panel can rub against the spool. I just don't cinch down the big red knob *quite* all the way, but others have taken to grinding down the ribs a bit. But they do work OK.

Duncan

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Newt_on_Swings View Post
    If you were really dedicated to getting xx out to people you should have just bought the 1000ft reels, a set of cheap rewinds, and some black plastic bags and separate it out for your self instead. There's a thing called self reliance, and you don't need to ask a bunch of people to chip in $100 a can for cine stock and get pissy when people pointed out that the price is way high.

I remember fairly recently a member offered cine stock here respooled himself for $30-$50 a roll shipped. He had it asked if people wanted an it was at a fair price and it was snapped up. Simple.
    That was me:

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum379/...olls-sale.html

Note that when I had purchased those 400' rolls they were more like $145 instead of the current $160 or whatever. And not in a million years would I go into the business of cutting up 400' rolls of 5222 on a regular basis for that little money. I have all the equipment to do it right, and the cores are easy enough to come by, it's those durn bags and cans that are so difficult to find in bulk, cheap. But that's just for me, some guy. Kodak could definitely do it more cost-effectively than I could. Quite some time ago, on one of their "give us your suggestions" links on the movie film site, I suggested they do just that and even pointed them to their competition (Orwo) that was doing it as an example. Obviously they didn't listen to me, go figure :-)

I wish that I could cut up a 400' roll into 4 100' rolls and fit them all back in the 400' can. Sadly, simple geometry prevents that! If the rolls are just a bit short, I can actually wedge two of them back in there. So here's a deal: anyone that wants 5222 badly enough to pay for a 400' can and only get 2 90-ish foot rolls for their money, I'll cut it up for you and keep the extra 200+' for myself! That's outrageous, of course, but still quite a bit cheaper than Kodak's proposed price for 100' rolls! I'll even make the same deal for 1000' rolls - however many smaller rolls I can wedge back in the original can and bag are yours, the leftover feet are mine. (If anyone seriously considers taking me up on this, let's talk - it's going to save money for me to buy the film and have Kodak ship it to me, rather than you buying it and then sending it to me, but if you already have the film and just need it cut up, that's fine too.)

Duncan

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Thanks to a tip in a PM, here is a source for a container for 100' spools of film:

http://generalphoto.biz/shop/article...5mm-spool.html

This is how movie film comes packaged when it is on a 100' camera spool. I would worry about the box alone protecting film on a core from light... as they may also be depending on the opaque metal spool and the opaque paper band to complete the lightproofing. But perhaps sealing it with some gaffer's tape would be good enough.

(I'm not going into the 5222 distribution business, remember, so this is for anyone else that might need such an item.)

Duncan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by frobozz View Post
    Thanks to a tip in a PM, here is a source for a container for 100' spools of film:
    Thank you Duncan, just what I need much cheaper than buying the cans. If you scroll down that page they have the Lighttight Foil bags for spooled film.
    Andy
    Per Mare, Per Terram
    Filmus Monochromus | Project Double-X | Daily Blog

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin