Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,212   Posts: 1,532,100   Online: 1219

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by polyglot View Post
    For $100 you can get 150' of 70mm!
    Ooh, where can I buy that? I need some 70mm.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    It's pretty weird that Kodak doesn't just make them available as a normal product any more. You'd think students would want 100' rolls on a camera spool to save money while learning to shoot, for instance. They still made color negative motion picture film available that way even recently... though now that I look at their catalog it looks like that is gone too. So maybe this is the cost involved when they no longer have a warehouse full of the camera spools and 100' bags and cans around?!

Orwo will gladly sell you two different kinds of B&W movie film in 35mmx100' for less than half of what Kodak is asking:

http://www.orwona.com/b-w-motion-picture-camera-films/

Or if you really want Double-X, this should would provide some incentive to get equipped to deal with the longer rolls! It's only $150 for 400' brand new ordered direct from Kodak.

Duncan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    Really? First I've heard of either of these. Even if true there's a big difference between "couldn't be repaired" and "not economically viable to repair." Almost anything CAN be repaired, or a replacement built, but I can understand if it's not worth it..
    I was told it had been repaired so many times that it was actually shot. Tho, sure I suppose remanufacturing the bulk of the worn out parts could be possible, but at a cost which would never come back.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just checked with Film Emporium http://www.filmemporium.com/store they sell Eastman 5222 Double-X film for $207.60 for 400 feet. This is sealed fresh stock from Kodak. A 1000 feet runs $474.00.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by polyglot View Post
    For $100 you can get 150' of 70mm!
    Oh, I'll just slit that in half and run it through my perforator, then re-spool it down to two 100' rolls and two 50' rolls! Cheaper yet!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald C Koch View Post
    Just checked with Film Emporium http://www.filmemporium.com/store they sell Eastman 5222 Double-X film for $207.60 for 400 feet. This is sealed fresh stock from Kodak. A 1000 feet runs $474.00.
    And who sells it in 100' rolls?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by sepiareverb View Post
    Kodak Motion Picture Division only sells 400 or 1000' rolls, some of us don't have the set-up for cutting it down to fit into a bulk loader.
    It's not hard to do. You need a room that can be made dark for an hour, a board with two nails, and an empty spool. I've done it several times. It's not rocket science.

Still I would like to see Kodak sell shorter rolls if the price is comparrable to the longer rolls.

I wish Kodak still made Eastman 5231 Plus-X which was even nicer than 5222.
    Last edited by Gerald C Koch; 02-19-2013 at 01:28 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Newt_on_Swings View Post
    It has a slightly different sprocket hole pattern, with rounded sides to accommodate the high speeds inside motion picture cameras.
    There are several perforations used in the 35mm cine world. And two types of holes. But the difference is not due to the speed of film as for instance the film speed is basically the same in the camera and in the projector. The reason for one part are other technical factors and, probably more important, to many people gathering at too many conferences...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I checked with Vic at my source linked above and he still has some, albiet in 400' rolls, but now for $165 plus shipping. No, it's not the 100' rolls but I've not had any issues using a large film changing bag and carefully spooling out some onto an old leftover spool I had saved from an earlier used bulk roll and then loaded it all onto a Llyod's film loader.

I am particularly enamored by this film. Definitiely a bit more old school in it's look and a tad grainy (especially in Rodinal) but it has a contrast and a bite that I really like. I shoot it at 200-250:

SF Commute Bay Bridge
    Leica MP
    35f2 Biogon
    Eastman XX (5222)
    Rodinal 1-50

by rich8155 (Richard Sintchak), on Flickr
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by sepiareverb View Post
    And who sells it in 100' rolls?
    As I indicated you can get short ends which are of variable length shorter than 400 feet. Typically 75 to 200 feet in length.These are what is left over from movies and too short to reload in the camera. They typically sell for about $0.20 per foot or less. They are not always in stock but there are several companies that sell short ends. It also helps to give them a calll and check. Sometimes short ends sell out before they can be put on the website.

BTW, many people do not even use a bulk loader but transfer directly from roll to cassette. IIRC a 36 exposure roll is ~5.5 feet in length.
    Last edited by Gerald C Koch; 02-19-2013 at 01:45 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin