Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,002   Posts: 1,524,443   Online: 1048

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    There are several perforations used in the 35mm cine world. And two types of holes. But the difference is not due to the speed of film as for instance the film speed is basically the same in the camera and in the projector. The reason for one part are other technical factors and, probably more important, to many people gathering at too many conferences...
    Ah I always thought the rounded sprocket pattern was a necessity because of the rate of speed the film passes though the camera/projector, so that they engage the teeth properly without tearing.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Kodak has an amazing automated film factory that can make huge quantities of any film really fast. Problem is that it's got a big fixed cost, and they aren't making huge quantities of film anymore. There's a big startup cost to make a run of a particular emulsion. Plus-X sold so slowly that they couldn't sell a minimum sized run before it expired. So it got discontinued.

This same factory also makes the Eastman movie films. Which are often manufactured to order. But shooting up one movie uses enough film that the order is a sensible sized production run!

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Double-X 100' rolls Special Order??

Quote Originally Posted by RidingWaves View Post
    "Turns out that Plus-X is gone because the one particular machine that coated it broke, and it couldn't be repaired any more, same as Efke"

I call BS on this. Kodak shifted all of its film making to one plant in 2002 that could make all of the films under one roof, just changing the emulsions for the master rolls to be cut. One Kodak machine 'wearing out' for Plus-X? Ha.
    Perhaps you got the previous version mixed up, that version of Plus-X pre 2002 had the distinctive blueish film base.
    Was that base more a green/blue?

I thought I wasn't fixing long enough...

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Panatomic X also has a greenish blue look when it is unprocessed. There are a few wacky ones out there, there is one that is bright red, another that is yellow, and one that I saw on ebay with a white base (looks almost like plain leader but was labeled as photographic film!)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Newt_on_Swings View Post
    Ah I always thought the rounded sprocket pattern was a necessity because of the rate of speed the film passes though the camera/projector, so that they engage the teeth properly without tearing.
    Just a supposition, but I figure the rounded edge shape helps keep the film centered on the sprocket better.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Double-X 100' rolls Special Order??

Quote Originally Posted by Newt_on_Swings View Post
    Panatomic X also has a greenish blue look when it is unprocessed. There are a few wacky ones out there, there is one that is bright red, another that is yellow, and one that I saw on ebay with a white base (looks almost like plain leader but was labeled as photographic film!)
    Now why can't they do a Panatomic-X run? That would be worth much more... Better than that Tmax crap

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I received a phone call from Vancouver Kodak and they will sell a 400' roll of 5222 for $170 1-800-621-3456.
    Last edited by dances_w_clouds; 02-20-2013 at 12:14 AM. Click to view previous post history.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    Just a supposition, but I figure the rounded edge shape helps keep the film centered on the sprocket better.
    This would not explain why in projection a different form of hole is used.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by dances_w_clouds View Post
    I received a phone call from Vancouver Kodak and they will sell a 400' roll of 5222 for $170 1-800-621-3456.
    That is a much better price. 4 people can easily pay ~$43, plus a bit more for shipping. I'd be willing to pitch in for that.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    Sharp internal corners are where stresses get focused and tears begin. Rounded sprocket holes spread the load more uniformly and reduce the probability of tearing, especially at higher frame rates.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin