Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,685   Posts: 1,482,258   Online: 1055

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF

Improperly Mixed Developer?

Help! I am at my wits end. I have mixed and remixed this developer, and I get entirely random results ( as far as this defect is concerned). I will attach a sample to this post that contains the defect and another image of the blank end of the roll that shows the defect as well (its more accentuated where there is less silver density). My guess is that there are particles that were not mixed properly that cause extra development on parts of the negative. I am wondering if this is due to any other cause? This is Beutler, a fairly simple developer, with Tri-x 400 pushed to 800. I am making the developer dance a bit (my dilution is A3 + B1 + 20 water) for about 22 minutes. I have some developments where this spotting happens, and some where the film is perfectly normal. What is going on? How can i make sure my developer is properly mixed? I am mixing at the correct temperature, adding metol before sodium sulfite, and the sodium carbonate is entirely alone in the water. How am I messing this up? Thank you to all who respond.

I have used this developer before a few years ago without any problems. That is why I am suspicious it may not be the mixing.

Contrast has been heightened to accentuate problem easily visible when printing in the darkroom for any frame that contains it.

- JH
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails TEST001.jpg   TEST002.jpg  

Shooter
    35mm RF
    PE, if you're on APUG right now, im sure you could answer this. I would GREATLY appreciate it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't know hwat you mean by A3 and B1. Do you mean 3 parts A and 1 part B? The recommended dilution for the Beutler developer is 1 part A, 1 part B, and 8 parts water. If you deviate from this you will not get good results. There was a similar thread where the OP used this developer with added dilution as a stand developer with bad results. For optimal negatives this is a developer that is rather unforgiving as to exposure, diution, temperature, etc.
    Last edited by Gerald C Koch; 02-18-2013 at 04:04 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikanon View Post
    (my dilution is A3 + B1 + 20 water) for about 22 minutes. I have used this developer before a few years ago without any problems. That is why I am suspicious it may not be the mixing.

Contrast has been heightened to accentuate problem easily visible when printing in the darkroom for any frame that contains it.

- JH
    What on earth are you talking about? Have you tried a standard ready mixed developer?

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    looks like over development with lots of air belles. You need to agitate, tap the sides of the tank to knock out bubbles, and develop for less time or at a lower temp.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't use this developer so I have no experience with it at all.

I can say that this problem reminds me of severe foam during development, but that is a reach.

Sorry. I have no real clue.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Years ago when I was a "starving student" the Beutler formula was my developer of choice since it was dirt cheap. The results with Kodak Pan-X were stunning in their detail. But as I said your exposure must be spot on. Willi Beutler in his book stressed that one should strive for the thinnest possible negative with good shadow detail. So meter carefully and bracket when in doubt. Most films show an increase in speed so your EI will be different from box speed. Some testing in in order. Over exposure and/or over development and improper agitation will negate the purpose of this developer. So use this developer as it was intended and don't try to "improve" on it with changes.

Best results are with slow traditional films ISO 100 or less. It's rather pointless to use this developer with fast films like Tri-X since the developer was designed for slow films. Grain will be accentuated. With Tri-X might I suggest D-23 diluted 1+1 would be a better shoice unless you really like grain.

Avoid camera vibration. Best detail will be with a range finder used with a tripod.
    Last edited by Gerald C Koch; 02-19-2013 at 12:43 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I worked only a couple of times with the developer. I can not say I have experience with it.
    First, I think it is good to consider that recommendation developer use only film sensitivity below 200 ASA.
    By changing the ratio A / B / water, have changed (decreased) concentration of Sodium Carbonate in developer.
    Perhaps you have a reason for changing the ratio A / B / water.
    Before You can try using a bath of sodium carbonate 5 g / l for a few minutes.
    Then wash thoroughly and then films them make your developer.
    You may to get rid of the problem.

George

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I wonder what stop bath the OP uses. Could these spots be the location where Sodium Carbonate rapidly released CO2? Are these spots Silver or actual damage to the emulsion?
    Trying to be the best of whatever I am, even if what I am is no good.

Shooter
    35mm
    I haven't used this specific developer, but the effect reminded me of a film that had been used from the freezer too quickly and had a bit of condensation on it.

If you think the problem is related to particles of something undissolved then filter the solutions before use, in fact that is a sensible precaution anyway and something I do every time with developers made from a powder.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin