Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,521   Posts: 1,572,240   Online: 843

View Poll Results: Glossy, semi-matt or matt

Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • Glossy

31 64.58%
  • Semi-matt

12 25.00%
  • Matt

5 10.42%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've been using matt and semi-matt surface paper lately. I like them much better than glossy. But I also tried some semi-gloss Bergger and I admit I like this surface more every time I look at it. So, I'm now on the fence as far as what surface I prefer. They all look pretty much alike under glass anyway.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Glossy is my primary surface. For the subjects that I shoot it seems to hold detail better. But a matt surface seems to fit many portraits and more moody landscapes.

One surface that I like quite a bit is the pearl surface that Ilford has. If only they made their cool tone pearl in Fiber instead of RC only.
    "Fundamentally I think we need to rediscover a non-ironic world"
    Robert Adams

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Glossy FB or RC - RC is for evaluation - I am really never done with it till it is on glossy air dried FB. The glossy surfaces seem to have better blacks.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Matte

I have made one photo on matte paper.Somehow I must have bought it by mistake. That being Ilford Gallerie grade 3 matte. This paper is just beautiful and it so flexible as to processing.Toned it in homemade polytoner afterward. I'm a confirmed believer in glossy but would not be adverse to using this matte surface again for the appropriate subject matter.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Chinn
    One surface that I like quite a bit is the pearl surface that Ilford has. If only they made their cool tone pearl in Fiber instead of RC only.
    Hear hear, I second that! I have just started using FB and when looking for a paper to try I couldn't understand why I couldn't find any cool tone.

So for RC, I prefer pearl, and I just started with a couple FBs so I don't know yet.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Phew that's better I was starting to feel in a minority of one on FB Matt Now Cool Tone Pearl in FB that would be very worth trying.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I used to use matt mostly but now mostly glossy. Some prints look better on matt and some on gloss. I have no intention of buying semi-matt (or pearl) anymore as just picking between two already hurts my brain enough.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin