Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,836   Posts: 1,582,419   Online: 734

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    TMY2 is a wonderful film - very flexible and wonderfully fine grained.

If you aren't getting what you want from it, you aren't exploiting its capabilities properly.

I expect Kodak black and white film will remain available longer than Fuji will.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    The hate isn't hate, it's reality, Kodak will soon be gone. Someone will probably buy the Tri-x formulation, but knowing the age and size of the machines that coat the film, it might not make financial sense to re-design smaller machines and the larger machines are too big for demand.
    I don't think anyone is able to predict the future of Kodak films. The demand for film rather than digital is large in some countries. Not everyone in the world can afford to discard their film cameras and buy digital ones. So film lives on at least for the near future.

When Kodak renamed all their films a few years ago they were reformulated and manufactured in a new modern coating facility so their machines are not old. At that time the packaging was changed and the name Tri-X 400 became 400TX. All the films from this facility have the speed given first to show the change. The new 400TX is very different from the older Tri-X 400. So in reality your father's old Tri-X no longer exists. The new film is finer grained than even the last version of Tri-X.
    Last edited by Gerald C Koch; 02-20-2013 at 12:42 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Suggest a 400 film

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    But that is a consequence my taste in final print quality and how I treat the film, not the film itself. I understand that different photographers have different tastes, and I wasn't posting my images for any reason other than to show that it's incredibly hard to tell a difference between something like Tri-X or TMax 400 unless you know what it is first.

The type of dark shadows and intense highlights you seem to prefer is equally possible with TMax as with Tri-X. You just have to change how you process TMax in order to emulate the tone curve of Tri-X. TMax has a straight line, and Tri-X has a shoulder. If you agitate less when you process TMax, say every three minutes or so, you will bend its straight line to resemble Tri-X. Tri-X has a bit longer toe too, while TMax has a more abrupt toe, so you can either expose TMax less, say EI 800 or 1,000, and push some of the shadow values onto the toe of the curve, and use something like Xtol to 'rescue' them again, but with a hair less definition than box speed. Or you can give Tri-X more exposure to keep its shadows off the toe, to look more like TMax does at box speed. There are so many additional variables that contribute to what a negative looks like at the end of the day, other than the film itself.

For what it's worth, anyway...
    Wouldn't waiting 3 minutes between agitations introduce bromide drag?

As much as this is interesting, I have a system, I like my system for development, I don't want to change it for just one film, I like the consistent results I get from all the other films I use. I doubt I could get the results I want from Tmax, but I have 3 rolls left and so I'll try it in Rodinal and HC-110 and see how that turns out. I can see it being great for Product photography. But not for most of what I do. I only bought it because it was cheaper than delta400 at B&H.

Thanks for the advice. I'm always open to learning its just sometimes I know myself and prefer simplicity over struggle.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
    Aren't both Tmax and Tri-X made in a relatively new factory that Kodak only put up a few years ago?
    If that's true I wasn't aware. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    harry

just more gloom and doom chatter. i have a feeling tri x will be made for a long time
    probably longer than fuji will continue making film ... but what do i know,

Yes heavy mid tones is what I mean.

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Suggest a 400 film

Quote Originally Posted by Gerald C Koch View Post
    I don't think anyone is able to predict the future of Kodak films. The demand for film rather than digital is large in some countries. Not everyone in the world can afford to discard their film cameras and buy digital ones. So film lives on at least for the near future.

When Kodak renamed all their films a few years ago they were reformulated and manufactured in a new modern coating facility so their machines are not old. At that time the packaging was changed and the name Tri-X 400 became 400TX. All the films from this facility have the speed given first to show the change. The new 400TX is very different from the older Tri-X 400. So in reality your father's old Tri-X no longer exists. The new film is finer grained than even the last version of Tri-X.
    I just shot some old Tri-X Pan from the 70's it's really nice actually. Too bad... Lol

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    127 Format
    I don't think anyone is able to predict the future of Kodak films...
    Perhaps. But I am willing to predict that when the end of Kodak film does arrive it will be sudden and furious, with no time to react.

I think of Kodak as a terminally ill friend whose end is quite near. We just don't know the date and time. We must enjoy them while they are still here.
    - Bill Lynch

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    All of the ISO 400 films from Ilford, Kodak and Fuji are high quality. Sorry, I don't use Rodinal much.
    HP5 Plus is the film I normally use.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    How come a thread where the OP specifically asked for a non-Kodak film end up having nothing but Kodak talk??

If you are shooting 35mm only you have several options, where I find Fuji neopan to suit me the best.
    If you want to shoot 35mm and 120, you best option is Ilford, then Rollei, then Foma (IMO)

Please take you Kodak discussions in a separate thread.
    -
    "Nice picture, you must have an amazing camera."
    Visit my photography blog at: http://helino-photo.blogspot.com

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Suggest a 400 film

Quote Originally Posted by Helinophoto View Post
    How come a thread where the OP specifically asked for a non-Kodak film end up having nothing but Kodak talk??

If you are shooting 35mm only you have several options, where I find Fuji neopan to suit me the best.
    If you want to shoot 35mm and 120, you best option is Ilford, then Rollei, then Foma (IMO)

Please take you Kodak discussions in a separate thread.
    Agreed

~Stone

Shooter
    35mm
    Thank you all for your replies. When i read your answers it looks like Hp5+ would be my best bet, i have never tried that film, or any Ilford for that matter. I have tried Kentmere, but that was some years ago and back then i used Xtol, i did not really like like that film. But on the other hand it can behave really different in Rodinal, but yet again that film does not come in rolls. Though i normally do not shoot MF, but who knows.. i may start.

Very few of you did mention the Rollei 400 films, i guess it is because it is a small brand and also due to my precondition of using Rodinal. I guess there are not many here on apug that can say anything about that combination.

Why are you prejudiced against Kodak?
    It is made in the USA, the land who bullies the whole western world and most of the rest too. Don't ask, i do not want to start a political debate.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well... I do have five rolls of Rollei 400 waiting to be developed in Rodinal, i'll be back.
    Nicholai Nissen
    Kolding, Denmark
    nicholainissen@gmail.com

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin