Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,203   Posts: 1,531,645   Online: 1161

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    I tend to use Rodinal 1:50 for all my Rodinal development, seems fine for HP5+ but then I've never tried 1:25 maybe I'll try that to compare
    If you beat me to it, i would like a comment on the defference. I suspect that 1:50 produces a bit smoother grain for the price of a flatter tonality and/or less contrast. Those who are pushing Hp5+ in Rodinal seem to use higher dilutions and way longer times, probably to not get too much contrast, that seem logical from the overexposed shots i did on my test roll. In my contrasty taste the 800 shot was quite alright with the same dev. as 400, but i can imagine what happens with yet another stop less exposure.

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by steelneck View Post
    Just tried my first Hp5+ in Rodinal and i am happy.

While i waited for delivery i searched for examples and dev. times. I have so far mostly used a dilution of 1:50 for my films, but neither Agfa or Ilford recommend that dilution for some reason, some say it wont build contrast enough. Their recommendations for EI 400 in 1:25 dilution also differ, Ilford says 6 min and Agfa 8 min. I tend to like a bit contrast, so i developed this first film for 8 min in 1:25 dilution. 30 sec initial agitation and then two turns every minute.
    The site of www.digitaltruth.com can help you with getting started experimenting with dilutions & developing times.
    You can find several developer combinations for HP5+ here:
    http://www.digitaltruth.com/devchart...er=&mdc=Search
    And here are all the combinations for Rodinal with several types of film:
    http://www.digitaltruth.com/devchart...nal&mdc=Search
    They also have a nice app with all the information:
    http://www.digitaltruth.com/apps/

And don't forget to have fun in the process ;-)
    "Have fun and catch that light beam!"
    Bert from Holland
    my blog: http://thetoadmen.blogspot.nl
    my Linkedin pinhole group: http://tinyurl.com/pinholegroup

* I'm an analogue enthusiast, trying not to fall into the digital abyss.
    * My favorite cameras: Hasselblad SWC, Leica SL, Leica M7, Russian FKD 18x24, Bronica SQ-B and RF645, Rolleiflex T2, Nikon F4s, Agfa Clack and my pinhole cameras

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    HP5+ is a wonderful film, highly versatile (I've pushed to EI 6400, pulled to EI 200 and have been happy enough with results). If you're skeptical about the future availability of different film products, Ilford seems on the surface to be doing the best job of adjusting to the changing marketplace and setting themselves up for the long haul. If I were a betting man, I'd say that HP5+ will outlast Tri-X and the lot.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Suggest a 400 film

Very good, thorough way of testing your first roll. Many folks dislike HP5+ in Rodinal, but I found that for my own purposes that at EI 800 in Rodinal 1+25 works really well. It's as though the film comes alive in normal contrast like that. At higher contrast I have exposed at box speed, and lower contrast gone to 1600, in order to get a normal grade 2.5 print negative contrast. Of course developing time has to be adjusted.
    Looks like you're well on your way! Have fun, and enjoy the trip.

Just tried my first Hp5+ in Rodinal and i am happy.

While i waited for delivery i searched for examples and dev. times. I have so far mostly used a dilution of 1:50 for my films, but neither Agfa or Ilford recommend that dilution for some reason, some say it wont build contrast enough. Their recommendations for EI 400 in 1:25 dilution also differ, Ilford says 6 min and Agfa 8 min. I tend to like a bit contrast, so i developed this first film for 8 min in 1:25 dilution. 30 sec initial agitation and then two turns every minute.

The film came out OK, initially the neg looked a bit dense, but that was only me fooling my self since i developed my last roll of Foma 400 just earlier in 1:50 for 12 min (EI 320). I did take some shots of the same scene, just for comparison. Hp5+ is a faster film than Foma 400, no question about it, more than a stop faster, maybe even closing in on two. Grain? Yes, ohh yes. The grain is about the same for those two films, pronounced but in a pleasing way. Hp5+ is quite a bit sharper and i also liked the tonality of Hp5+ better than the Foma. It seem like Hp5+ has a more defined and so to speak compressed toe in the density curve, there is more in both the deep shadows and even more so in the highlights compared to Foma.

I also did under and over expose a scene by one stop. The Hp5+ do not seem to like over-exposure, that +1 shot lost a lot of contrast and did not look good. I got quite surprised of the under-exposed shot, it hardly even looked under-exposed, midtones where just about the same, just a tad darker on the contact sheet over all. At a quick glance it looked about the same as the correct exposure, at second look it had a bit contrast to it. Initially i even liked the one stop under-exposed shot better. It seem like Hp5+ is quite forgiving regarding under-exposure. To me this says it will respond well to pushing.

I tried to print a couple of frames on grade 2, 9x6" paper. The prints came out very good, maybe a tad low in contrast. Actually much better than i had expected for a first test-roll. I think Hp5+ will become my 400 film of choice, this first roll was very promising.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Fomapan 400(@200) and Rodinal 1+50 for 25mins with three inversions at every fifth minute.
    OM-1n: Do I need to own a Leica?
    Rolleicord Va: Humble.
    Holga 120GFN: Amazingly simple yet it produces outstanding negatives to print.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Suggest a 400 film

Quote Originally Posted by baachitraka View Post
    Fomapan 400(@200) and Rodinal 1+50 for 25mins with three inversions at every fifth minute.
    You need to read the other posts before posting... He's already made his choice for now.

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    You need to read the other posts before posting...
    Not necessarily; continuing to build the domain knowledge in this thread will have value for future reference for others, and also for the OP should he ever decide to try a different combination than what he's using presently.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    Many folks dislike HP5+ in Rodinal, but I found that for my own purposes that at EI 800 in Rodinal 1+25 works really well. It's as though the film comes alive in normal contrast like that.
    Yes, my first film indicates to me too that it looks good at EI800. I even think that 400 or 800 does not really matter, it just get a bit more contrast at 800. It looks like i can get away with the same dev-time for both.

I have just shot a second roll that is drying as i write. This time i went for 1:50 dilution and 12 minutes. When i hang it for drying it looked just about the same as the previous one. This time i took four shots of the same scene that i did on the previous roll, from +1 to -2 stop. The 1 stop over exposed shot was clearly more dense, on the normal and -1 stop i could not see any difference when looking at the wet negative, the -2 stop was a bit more clear. These shots are taken in my garage (my snowmobile) with a studio flash to get consistent lighting.

I get back again when i have made a contact sheet and a test print. That will tell me something about grain and tonality. I expect to see a bit flatter tonality and a bit less pronounced grain, maybe at the expense of sharpness but i wont bet on it.

Quote Originally Posted by viridari View Post
    Not necessarily; continuing to build the domain knowledge in this thread will have value for future reference for others, and also for the OP should he ever decide to try a different combination than what he's using presently.
    I have used Foma 400 with Rodinal quite a bit, done a lot of testing but i never come to like it. Tonality-wise it is OK but at one stop slower speed, possibly even two, as my tests with Hp5+ indicates so far, and this with better sharpness and about the same grain as Foma.

Shooter
    35mm
    Now i have made a contact and a print from the film shot at EI 400 and developed for 12 min in 1:50 Rodinal*, the same agitation as in earlier post.

(*R09 made by Compard, the modern west Germany Agfa recepie, not the 100 year old one published post war made by Calbe today)

The difference from the dev. in 1:25 for 8 min is small, very small. Seen on the contact i lost a tiny bit of contrast, and i really mean tiny, hard to see at all. The film did seem get a little more forgiving to over exposure in this 1:50 dilution, but still handle underexposure just as good. Though it look like i lost less than 1/3 of speed, the contact sheet became a little darker, but the diff. is so small that it is hard to see even with the two contacts side by side.

I also made a print and a tiny bit of "punch" was lost there too, very little difference though. So far i think i like the tonality better in the 1:25 version, but the difference is small. When i peak at the grain with a loupe on the 9x6" print, the 1:50 version seem to have a tiny bit smaller grain, but the diff is so small that it is hard to tell.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have used Foma 400 with Rodinal quite a bit, done a lot of testing but i never come to like it. Tonality-wise it is OK but at one stop slower speed, possibly even two, as my tests with Hp5+ indicates so far, and this with better sharpness and about the same grain as Foma.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8474502775_8f07447b7b_b.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	441.7 KB 
ID:	65142

Everyone will have their own tastes, of course, but Fomapan 400 in Rodinal 1+25 has worked well for my own tastes.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin