Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,691   Posts: 1,548,928   Online: 801

Page 1 of 8 1234567 ... LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Suggest a 400 film

I want to find me a favorite 400 35mm film to stick to and learn. A condition is that it should work well together with Rodinal (I have no issue with grain), another condition is that i do not want Kodak. I have tried Foma 400, with that i get a tonality that i like at EI 200, but it is more like a 200 iso film with large grain, at EI 400 i have not got results that i like.

What about Kentmere, Ilford Hp5+, Fuji Neopan 400 or Rollei 400S/RPX400? (have i missed any?)

It would be a + if the film is avail. as rollfilm too.

I want to hear from people with experience with the film souped in Rodinal.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    HP5+

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    HP5 is a superb film, I use it in LF but have been very happy with Delta 400 for smaller formats, it's available 35mm &. 120.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    HP5 also!

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Tri-X is probably the finest ISO 400 film on the market. Why are you prejudiced against Kodak?
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I've recently used XP2 and developed it in Diafine. The results came out better than expected. It's the only roll of film I had at the time and wanted to test a camera I had just received via eBay. There was a 14 day return period and I wanted to test right away. I read somewhere that XP2 can be developed in Diafine (or any other b/w developer) in addition to regular C41 processing.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    HP5.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Neopan 400, best there is
    -
    "Nice picture, you must have an amazing camera."
    Visit my photography blog at: http://helino-photo.blogspot.com

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Suggest a 400 film

Quote Originally Posted by Gerald C Koch View Post
    Tri-X is probably the finest ISO 400 film on the market. Why are you prejudiced against Kodak?
    I beg to differ, Tmax, Delta400, Neopan400 are all finer grained than Tri-X in addition HP5+ is comparable grain wise than Tri-X, if developed with the right developer like DD-X it's actually finer IMHO.

Anyway the OP said he doesn't want grain... So my suggestion...

Assuming you are shooting 120, HP5+ will be fine grained enough for you.

If shooing 35mm, either HP5+ or Delta400.

Tmax personally I find very fine but "boring" looking.

Just buy a roll of each, soup them all in DD-X FIRST, see which two you like best, then shoot those two against each other and soup that in Rodinal and you'll probably have the best choice.

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well, there's a lot more to a film than granularity/graininess. OP specifically said he's ok with grain (obviously if he's using Rodinal).

I would recommend OP decide on some basic characteristics first, narrow the list down and try one or two films. Trying them all is pointless unless you're going to spend a year shooting many, many rolls of each and refining each one.

Yes, Tri-X is a wonderful film. So is TMY-2. But OP doesn't want to use Kodak. End of story. He's left with HP5+, Delta 400 and Fuji. Delta is a tabular grained film which will look different than HP5+. So maybe a good try would be HP5+ and Delta 400. Start with those two. They are both superb films as Ian Grant noted above. If Rodinal is your developer, use Rodinal.

Page 1 of 8 1234567 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin