Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,553   Posts: 1,646,421   Online: 783

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: FP4 and FP4+

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Re FP4.1 and HP5.1......very good

and after all film is attractive to bugs......

Simon : ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited :

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rich815 View Post
    I have some HP3 from 1963. What's the difference from this to HP5+?

(I'm kidding)
    Rather a lot, I cut my teeth on ex Government surplus bulk rolls of FP3 and HP3. These were quite soft emulsions very easy to get reticulation, but equivalent Kodak films of that era were no different in this respect.

FP3 was OK, FP4 was much better, FP4+ is that slight step better.

HP3 was a bit grainy, HP4 was slightly better, however HP5 was very much better in terms of grain and tonality many thought ahead of Tri-X at the time. Modern HP5+ is a superb film.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    How about Ilfolith IH4? I've got almost a full box of 4x5. I recall getting something from this film a few years ago, but I've forgotten exposures and processing details. (Ya, I know it's not for grey scale...)

Cheers,
    Tom
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ilfolith is very old, it'll be slow and was designed to be processed in a lith developer, for best sharpness but a high contrast developer can be used as well, someting like 5 EI. I did use some Ilfolith way back.

Ilford sold their Graphic Arts and Medical side to Agfa from memory sometime in the 1970's.

Ian

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    They are definitely a little different. I still have some sheet of the original FP4 laying around. I liked the
    base a little better because it was not so slick, and less prone to Newton Rings, though the current version is not a serious offender in that respect. The changes to both FP4 and HP5 were subtle, but
    noticeable. Whether something is an impovement or not depends on what you are doing, what you are
    used to, etc. The change didn't personally cause me any problems, or really any fuss with procedure.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ian, interesting that you mention Ilford selling (possibly) their graphic arts film division to Agfa in the 70's. I have just checked in my darkroom.

My last purchase of Ilford 30.5cmx45.7cm (12x18") News Dot x 100 sheets with the code of 171-0203 was made by me in the mid to late nineties in Melbourne Australia.

With regard to Ilford naming their facility (I think that's what Simon means) "EP2" is fascinating for those of us who did colour printing using one of Kodak's colour processes and materials

Mick.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Mick, I can't remember the exact year but Ilford had sold the Medical/Graphics side before they moved to Mobberley closing their plants in the south. 1980 at the latest I think as it was a few years before the move.

Ian
    Last edited by Ian Grant; 03-03-2013 at 07:10 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin