Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,965   Posts: 1,558,405   Online: 834

Shooter
    Medium Format

Difference between RC and Fiber paper printing times

So in my lab at school we have a lot of Ilford RC paper, so to save on the fiber paper I've been using for work prints. Today however, I tried printing something on Ilford fiber and the exposure time that worked on RC, underexposed on fiber. I'm kind of a darkroom noob, aside from a copy of "The Print" which doesn't cover RC paper, so is this right?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    In my experience, Ilford FB paper requires quite a bit more exposure than RC - at least twice. FB Warm tone requires even more than regular FB.

These paper react very differently in terms of exposure and contrast. I treat them as entirely different print jobs. Yup.... it's right.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes FB does take longer than RC. Run a few test strips.

Jeff

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Different papers have different sensitivities and contrasts. Generally you cannot take your print settings from one paper to another, except for the dodge/burn sequencing and relative exposures.

I have found that the Kentmere papers are very consistent between RC and FB though, which makes things easier. MGIV papers definitely differ.

DAK

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    In my experience RC and FB exposure times are quite close. Time in the print developer is twice as long for FB compared to RC.

DAK

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I forgot to say that was my experience for Ilford RC and FB papers.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DAK View Post
    In my experience RC and FB exposure times are quite close. Time in the print developer is twice as long for FB compared to RC.
    I'll agree with this, too, for Ilford.
    Using RC for quick work prints does give me an idea of the contrast I'll need, at least to start, and a ballpark idea of where to start for exposure. I still do test strips when I make FB prints, though - just saves money and time in the end.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by winger View Post
    I'll agree with this, too, for Ilford.
    Using RC for quick work prints does give me an idea of the contrast I'll need, at least to start, and a ballpark idea of where to start for exposure. I still do test strips when I make FB prints, though - just saves money and time in the end.

That's interesting.... my experience is quite opposite. I initially planned to do that but the results were so different, I had to abandon it.... I'm glad it works for you though!
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I find it weird to do a print on rc then to fiber, its easier to just cut a test strip and then do a print on a full size sheet. If I am working with larger papers, I make test strips out of a sheet thats smaller so I dont have to destroy a sheet of the larger format. And also print a section of the image to evaluate tones before going for the big sheet. Lately I have been getting a bit lazier about this, but I can still guess pretty well what exposure is needed and be close.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I wouldn't be surprised to find that your developer choice may also affect the issue.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin