Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,550   Posts: 1,544,767   Online: 973

Shooter
    35mm RF

Shooting in a church, need some advice

First of all, I'm a sunny outdoor shooter. Through all the info in this forum, over the last few months I've done a great job at narrowing down my process using PanF+, Delta 100 and TMAX 100, and I've been improving my results using these films. Switching from digital back to film was a bit of a challenge at first, but this place has taught me much and I'm really enjoying the process now.

Now, my friend is baptizing his baby this weekend. This is more of a learning exercise for me, but I'd still like to try to get some good results. No one asked me to take pictures, so this isn't an assignment or something I feel like I have to get good results from, but shooting indoors is not my MO and I'm not sure where to start. I've been reading about shooting 400 speed at 800 or 1600, and shooting 3200 at 1600, and I'm not sure which route I should take. I'd like to have controlled grain. I understand grain is probably unavoidable, but I don't want it to be too harsh (I like it for some outdoor work, but not so much for portraits). For developers, I have Ilfosol 3, Rodinal (Adinol), and DD-X. My understanding is for this type of shooting, the DD-X is probably going to be my best bet.

So my question is, which will yield me better results: Pushing 400, or using either Delta 3200 or TMAX 3200 at 1600? Any other suggestions to try? Also, I'm guessing 1600 will give me a little more handheld freedom, but does anyone think 800 is definitely too slow (I know, it's hard to say without being in the environment...)? Also, is it true that the more gentle you agitate, the less pronounced grain will be?

Thanks for the input!

Shooter
    35mm
    You've got to give us some idea of the shooting conditions. I've seen churches that 200 speed film would be fine and ones that would require 1600 speed film. The time of day and the kind of church might help us make a better guess.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    TMax 3200 and delta 3200 are about one stop faster than TMAX400.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Prof_Pixel View Post
    You've got to give us some idea of the shooting conditions. I've seen churches that 200 speed film would be fine and ones that would require 1600 speed film. The time of day and the kind of church might help us make a better guess.
    Time of day would be 1:30PM. It's a fairly typical New England church, which means 6-8 foot stained glass windows all around, and hanging lights. I would compare the brightness to being in a Starbuck's at night if that helps. I guess exposure and lighting aside, for grain purposes is it better to push 400 a couple of stops, or use 3200 at 1600.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I recently shot and developed a roll of tri-x 35mm that I developed in hc-110 that was stunning. Very nice looking to me, possibly something to think about. Sorry never wrote down the time that i developed it for.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Look at the exif data of other people's photos online who have taken photos in that place. No such thing as typical for the lighting in a new england church. I've been in plenty of them.

I'd use tmy2 film pushed. Having a f1.4/1.8/2 lens will be real helpful.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I shot this Christmas Eve service on Ilford Delta 3200 at ISO 3200, f/5.6 at 1/60 on my Mamiya 7; developed in Tmax developer.

[IMG] img001.jpg by KentWebb, on Flickr[/IMG]

If you are shooting during the day with window light, you could probably get by at 1600, or use tri-X at 800-1600.

Any chance you could meter the church ahead of time?

Regards,

Kent

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    TMax 3200 and delta 3200 are about one stop faster than TMAX400.
    I'm not sure I understand this statement. ??
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg View Post
    I'm not sure I understand this statement. ??
    Delta 3200 and Kodaks P3200 are not actually listing their box speed correctly, they are more like ASA1000 films that push very well up to 3200 where tmax400 can be pushed to 800 and compare to d/p3200 at 1000 would be fairly similar.... Fairly... That's what their saying.

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

2 suggestions, one, can you go there? Run a test...

Personally, if you're shooting Medium Format, Delta3200 won't disappoint even at 3200.

If you're near a lt of direct light from the window, 3200 shot at 3200 developed at 3200 should be great, if there are a lot of shadows, I would shoot at 2000 and then develop at 3200.

All in DD-X

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin