Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,930   Posts: 1,585,414   Online: 1012

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images

Tri-X Reversal in Dektol test - strange dark areas.

I got fed up being methodical for a while, so went straight for Polymax (i.e Dektol liquid) at 1+9. That's paper dev strength - or the equivalent of powdered at 1+2 and gave it 5 mins 1st, 3 mins 2nd dev. That's as copied from a Super 8 technique I've found online. All my other chemical and times were the same.

Odd dark wide tracks seemingly around areas of light. Check the way they hug the tiny road-cone, lower left. Aside from that, generally still lacks contrast/bite.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dektol_5m_1+9.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	264.9 KB 
ID:	64390

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Your marks looks like you need more wash betweed your dev/bleech/clear steps. Try more time in the 1st developer to up the contrast.
    Get it right in the camera, the first time... My flickr
    Peter Carter

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    Thanks. That's interesting as I switched to my usual (Ilford) 5,10,20 inversions with water changes for this test. On all the previous tests I was following the 2 minute washing in running water as in the Foma kit instructions.

Increasing contrast. I'm curious about this. I've been wondering whether, if the development time goes up then I wondered if the positive's shadows also start filling in too, as the positive's image hilights are built up? Or do you think the hilight areas build up more quickly than shadows (in the positive)?
    Last edited by mr.datsun; 02-20-2013 at 05:46 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I recently tried this 1:9 for 7 min 15 sec (agitate first 15 seconds and 15-30 more seconds of rotations with the paterson spinning stick... then spin for 5 seconds every 30 seconds )... i really liked the results... not to many midtones... i've since tried it once more... with similar results, and then again with a slight variation... which allowed me more midtones... i noticed that the highlights were free of detail when printed as well as the shadows (night scenes)... but during daylight the tonality (or gradation) wasn't smooth. I used fuji acros and was trying to get more 'grain/grittiness' from the film. 120 6x7 acros even with this method produced sharp images as well. I'd give it a go... in the basement its been cold lately and the water temp has been coming out at about 58 degrees and use the water as a stop bath.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin