Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,888   Posts: 1,520,733   Online: 1101

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format

Mirror stop not stopping mirror at appropriate position

Quote Originally Posted by tkamiya View Post
    I've done a similar test to yours on (used to be mine) Mamiya 645 Super and Pro.
    I found your post from 2010 time frame regarding the problem with the mirror and everyone telling you it is not the mirror. I am pretty sure it is the mirror stop on my Super. With the ground glass against the film rails and the using a release cable to hold the shutter open, I focused on the ground glass using my 45mm lens as a magnifier. I then released the shutter. With the prism removed and using the 45mm and looking at the focus screen, the focus does not match. By moving the mirror lock-up knob slightly and thereby lifting the mirror slightly the image comes into focus on the focus screen. If I could adjust the mirror stop, I could correct the focus issue.

I think the focus has always been off, but with the wider lenses and stopped down, I never noticed. I know remember why I stopped using the camera for several years. I was not happy with the sharpness of the images.

I suppose at this point I could either try to fix it or buy a used Pro or Pro TL body. Suggestions?

p.s. Thanks again for the great ideas.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's probably going to be cheaper to replace the body than it would be to repair it. Have the old one repaired later, and use as a spare.
    Fred Latchaw
    Seattle WA

I am beginning to resent being referred to as 'half-fast'.
    Whatever that's supposed to mean.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Since you know that lifting the mirror slightly seems to correct the focus, this means that the viewing image is formed short of the ground glass. I'd cross my fingers hoping that someone has simply put the ground glass in upside down.

If you find that 1) the ground surface is facing up, and 2) the error is roughly 2/3 thickness of the ground glass, this would mean that it's most likely upside down.

I'll cross my fingers for you. Good luck.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Update

After confirming that the mirror stop was broken and beyond my ability to repair, I bought a Pro body. It arrived yesterday. I repeated the same tests using the ground glass. The focus on the focus screen and the ground glass were identical, which confirms the diagnosis. Thanks again for the inputs and insights.

Regards,
    Rob

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin