Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,971   Posts: 1,558,569   Online: 1111

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, here are the results...

I'm underwhelmed.

First, this concoction is really foul smelling - and I've been doing darkroom work for almost 30 years

Second, it looks like I either did not have proper ingredients (while mixing in vitamin C after soda, there was no foaming!), or my dev. time was too short.

In the Caffenol cookbook I found times of 13-14 minutes (for manual processing), so I used 12 minutes at 20 deg. C, since for rotary processing I usually reduce dev. times by 15%.

I souped one 40 ASA and one 100 ASA negative in the same drum: 40 ASA is underdeveloped, but salvageable, and 100 ASA (EFKE), is almost totally clear. Waaaay underdeveloped. So, Whitey's time of about 20 minutes might be closer to the mark for me and my 100 ASA negs.

But, after thoroughly washing my tanks with detergent, they still kinda smell of that foul instant coffee Phew!

Well, my curiosity is satisfied, and I'll definitely stick to Rodinal and Xtol

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Denis, pour the caffenol in your trays and do some printing!
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Here are the recipes I use and aways get great results. I also use pharmaceutical grade 100% vit c as well as chemical grade chemicals for the rest of the ingredients. Not stuff purchased at the grocery store. Only buy my instant coffee from grocery.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cafenol recipe.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FM2N View Post
    Here are the recipes I use and aways get great results. I also use pharmaceutical grade 100% vit c as well as chemical grade chemicals for the rest of the ingredients. Not stuff purchased at the grocery store. Only buy my instant coffee from grocery.
    Thanks for the handy chart. I'm going to print this for my darkroom wall.

Cheers,
    Tom
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FM2N View Post
    Thanks - that's the chart I used, from the "Caffenol Cookbook" - however, I went for the "RS" variant, with somewhat reduced soda content...
    But, my chemicals (vitamin C) might be off: like I said, there was no foaming when I poured vitamin C powder into dissolved soda, so...

However, since I already have both Rodinal and Xtol (plus some other tried and tested developers), I don't really see the point: besides, the smell definitely puts me off. Doesn't smell like a darkroom at all

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I often read comments that Caffenol smells awful, but I use it a lot and have never thought it particularly obnoxious (and I have a good sense of smell) - certainly no more than rapid fixer
    Wonder if it's similar to the "asparagus effect" where only certain people can smell the taint in urine?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    sounds like you needed more soda, more vit c and more time developing ...
    i hope you saved your old developer, you can just add the stuff into it and
    use it again, and then as tom suggested, make some prints with it

good luck !

john

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    So, Denis. What part of my post didn't get through, the part about 20 minutes in the developer or the part about how bad the stuff smells?

In truth, I seldom use caffenol because of the smell. It reminds me of one of my first summer jobs, as a short order cook on Cape Cod. The grease trap on the grill smelled like that after a heavy week of hamburgers. The effectiveness of the developer is not, IMHO, in question. It's worth however, after taking into account the smell, the long timing, the stained equipment and, oh ya, the smell, is a big question. I think I will continue to use it occasionally, but it's not my go-to developer, that's for sure. Sorry, John.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiteymorange View Post
    So, Denis. What part of my post didn't get through, the part about 20 minutes in the developer or the part about how bad the stuff smells?
    Well, I got what I deserved for not sticking with your info

I went with the Caffenol Cookbook, changed a recipe a bit (I used RS variant), their times are shorter (and you did say that your negs turned out rather dense).... I subtracted about 15% for the rotary processing, so... I tried "going by the book"

But, I should have listened to you and should have used about 17-18 minutes, and should have used your formula, too.

Anyway, I didn't expect too much, therefore I used unimportant film... I just wanted to see what's the fuss about - I did see some nice results online.
    Like I said, I'm unimpressed (mostly because of the unpleasant smell, but also the stain...). I had to scrub and wash my tank and reels like a maniac - and I think they still have a faint smell of that stuff. Ilford Rapid fixer smells like roses compared to that. (Besides, I actually LIKE the smell of fixer....)

In the end, it's too much trouble with not that stellar results (as compared to tried and tested stuff, like Rodinal, Xtol or HC).
    If I have to mix my own chemicals from powder, I'd rather mix 5 liters of Xtol - which might be a bit more expensive, but in the end is actually MUCH easier to obtain than, for example, potassium bromide

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    denis

it sounds like you gave it a try .. i lot of people don't even bother.
    now, what to do with your leftover ingredients ..

drink some coffee, do some laundry, and ward off that cold

have fuN !
    john

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin