Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,563   Posts: 1,573,353   Online: 1033

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Caffenol + rotary processing (JOBO)?

Does anyone use Caffenol with rotary processing - e.g. in a JOBO processor?

I'd like to try Caffenol, and everything I've read about Caffenol praises it as either semi-stand or stand developer - i.e. usually as little agitation as possible.
    Haven't found much reference to rotary processing...

Since I do all of my processing using a JOBO rotary processor, I'm thinking that trying Caffenol in this setting perhaps might not be a good idea...

Any special formulas or deviations that would adjust to constant agitation?

TIA,

Denis

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    hi denis

its been a long time but i used to only caffenol in a unicolor drum
    the film came out fine ... i don't remember my development time though
    probably between 10-15 minutes, and this was with store bought instant, not the sumatra-stuff i use now ...

good luck !
    john

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Denis,
    I just did an 8x10 in a unicolor drum. Caffenol (4 tsp instant coffee, two of washing soda and one short tsp of Vit. C powder in about 8oz. water.) -with a tiny splash of old dektol (thanks, John). I shot the film (old txp 320) at box speed and let the drum rotate for about 20 minutes... got a negative that looks to the naked eye like it might be tough to print in a reasonable time but which actually printed very quickly, with good tone. i don't have it scanned or I'd post it.

The drum did get a bit smelly, but I rinsed it out well and let it air. No harm done. Caffenol stinks. No two ways around it. I just ground up the beans jnanian roasted up (in his electric frying pan!) when I went to see him last week, and I'm cold-brewing them for more developer. I soak the grinds in cold water for 24 hours and then filter well. With good coffee, I do the same but for 12 hours. It makes a very nice coffee concentrate that I use for iced coffee.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Whitey, thanks for the exhaustive reply.

I think I might try the usual (manual) developing first, and then see what happens.

I got the ingredients, and I'll try my first negative most likely over the next weekend.

If the stench is so bad, I might as well stick with Rodinal, while I still have some

Regards,

Denis
    Last edited by Denis P.; 02-21-2013 at 09:25 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: typos

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiteymorange View Post
    Hi Denis,

The drum did get a bit smelly, but I rinsed it out well and let it air. No harm done. Caffenol stinks. No two ways around it.
    If you think Caffenol stinks, you should try the red wine variation. (same amounts of soda, vitamin C and old brown if you use it, but with the coffee/water portion replaced by that bottle of wine your aunt gave you. ) Stinky, and somewhat slower, but quite effective. I recently printed about six paper negatives that were intended for a Caffenol show and they look almost identical.

Cheers,
    Tom
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I shot the film (old txp 320) at box speed and let the drum rotate for about 20 minutes... got a negative that looks to the naked eye like it might be tough to print in a reasonable time but which actually printed very quickly, with good tone.
    Eh, just one more thing: when you say it "looked tough to print", do you mean it was too dense (overdeveloped), or too thin (underdeveloped)? 20 minutes' rotation sound it might be too much, from what I managed to gather regarding developing times with Caffenol... So, I presume the negative looked a bit too dense, right?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, very dense and dark. I remember the first roll I ever did in coffee having the same look... I think "bullet-proof" is the term jnanian uses for it. The 20 minute time seems right for this film at this time with this batch- no promises intended about yours. Try a test batch of less important negatives first.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, very dense and dark.
    Thaks for the confirmation, I'm looking forward to testing this... I have a roll or two of relatively unimportant stuff, so I might try that for the initial test

Thanks,

Denis

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    denis

careful ... it may become an addiction
    (i know it is with me ! )
    - john

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    denis

careful ... it may become an addiction
    (i know it is with me ! )
    - john
    It's not true... I can quit any time I want.

(I will suggest that if you are nervous about ruining a perfectly good roll of film, to use Caffenol as a paper developer instead. You can always re-print, but not always re-shoot)
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin