Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,849   Posts: 1,582,847   Online: 702

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    Great - thanks for everyone's comments.

Shooter
    35mm
    My meter reads the same for incident (with a flat receptor) and the spot meter off the gray card.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Meters aren't necessarily calibrated to 18%
    This wiki tells the tale; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light_meter

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Perhaps this is why Ansel suggests making your own grey card? It is not the exact 18% grey reflectance that is important but the way the notional tone affects the rest of the processing chain. So you make a Zone V grey card to suit your meter.

Steve

Shooter
    35mm
    If the reflected light meter is calibrated for a K14 and the incident light meter with a flat receptor is calibrated for C250 then a 17.59% gray card should give identical reading. Meters are calibrated for K12 to K14 often. But I don't know about the Weston it seems 1 stop is a lot.

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    Interesting ideas about meters and calibration that I need to read up.

On a more practical level, is there any possibility that my Weston is giving incorrect readings. It's not exactly new, do the selenium meters begin to fail with age?

Shooter
    35mm

Why don't reflective meter reading of zone V card and an incident reading match?

I understand that the selenium cells in meters like the Weston series do deteriorate. I have a Master IV in beautiful cosmetic condition, but the readings are useless. It used to be possible to have the cell replaced, but it would be cheaper to get a more recent version second-hand. I have to say that I also see differences between readings with incident and reflected measurements.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The card is only reading a small part of the scene, the dome is reading the entire scene.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    The selenium cell, if it is un-damaged, can last a very long time.

I have a Master II which gives reasonable readings, but have had a couple Westons that didn't work as well. In general I find they are fully good or totally bad (though the problem can be loose connections).

I think the Weston series of meters are "pretty well" designed, as far as protecting the selenium cell goes.

You might need to get in the habit of using Tungsten speed ratings that are lower than Daylight speed ratings. Sensitivity of selenium cell to near infra-red makes the needle jump higher under Tungsten than it should.

---

By the way 1 stop higher reading of 18% gray card seems perfectly reasonable.

I accidentally did an 18% gray card exposure test, so here is the graph...

Basically the lowest diamond on the lower-left of the curve is 2 1/3 stop below 18%. (18% is the middle of the cluster of diamonds mid-curve). Imagine that lowest diamond is about Zone III. Really would have rather placed Zone II down that far on the curve. So one stop more would have been a better exposure.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fotch View Post
    The card is only reading a small part of the scene, the dome is reading the entire scene.

Yep. But I would word it as the dome is an average. the reflected is a small part.
    Last edited by mark; 02-22-2013 at 11:46 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin