Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,571   Posts: 1,545,572   Online: 1032

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images

Binders for Negatives

I've used the Printfile workbox for years to store my negatives. If you're not familiar they were tough plastic 3-ring binders that locked together, keeping dust out and protecting them. Well now I see they are discontinued. The closest you can get now is the Bestfile archival box, which is similar though smaller and not as nice as the Printfile was.

I'm curious how others using Printfile pages are storing their pages. Years ago I used to just use standard 3-ring binders, but got spoiled by how nicely the plastic box type binders protect my negatives.

Recommendations??

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This is what I use.

http://www.adorama.com/FSBBWH.html

I don't know who actually makes these but different vendors appear to carry the same thing.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tkamiya View Post
    This is what I use.

http://www.adorama.com/FSBBWH.html

I don't know who actually makes these but different vendors appear to carry the same thing.
    This is basically the same as the Bestfile product, which is great, BUT I'd like to see them be made thicker, they fill up quick with negs and contact sheets.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Century Archive Album works good for me. It is three inches deep and holds lots of negative sleeves. They can be a bit pricey but if you watch for sales they aren't too terrible bad. Another alternative are these:
    http://www.amazon.com/Adorama-Archiv...ef=pd_sbs_op_6

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use the PrintFile white plastic page hangers and dedicated four-drawer metal office filing cabinets. Not the most space efficient. But given sufficient space (an empty nest bedroom converted to a photo workroom for mounting, matting, and filing) storage is easily expanded by simply purchasing additional units.

The pages stay clean. They are very accessible (no digging required). Filing systems can be easily modified as needed. There is no weight compressing the negatives or slides. And it's all very clean and orderly.

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I use ring binders bought from my local WH Smith's for less than a £1 each.
    Richard

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Pioneer View Post
    The Century Archive Album works good for me. It is three inches deep and holds lots of negative sleeves. They can be a bit pricey but if you watch for sales they aren't too terrible bad. Another alternative are these:
    http://www.amazon.com/Adorama-Archiv...ef=pd_sbs_op_6
    Now this looks just like the Printfile workbox! Thanks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Those look really nice... hmmmm.

Shooter
    35mm
    I use carton archive-boxes, about 4 1/2", 110mm, deep. They are (allegedly) archivally ok, having no glue and only stainless fittings. I place them three deep with the glassine neg-sheets and contact-prints horizontally, all in open shelving which is probably horribly anti-archival, oops.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin