Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,571   Posts: 1,545,552   Online: 1050

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Stand development times for HP5+ in Rodinal?

I'm looking to try a 1:100/20C concentration finally, but I don't know what I should do, as far as agitation and time! I have a fair amount of experience with HP5 at 1:50, but my results are considerably less contrasty and the grain is less tight than Tri-X

Thanks for the help!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    just leave it for an hour and a half with 3 inversions halfway throughout the cycle. it wont get you the best negative you could get but it will give you workable results.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Stand development will give you even less contrast than what you are experiencing with Rodinal 1:50.

If your negatives are lacking contrast and HP5+ is producing less grain than Tri-X are your HP5+ negatives being underdeveloped?

As has been repeated over and over again on APUG, stand development is a specialized technique used for contrast reduction. It was never intended as a general purpose development method. It is used along with the Zone System for tonal compression. Is there a particular reason you want to do this other than curiousity?
    Last edited by Gerald C Koch; 02-22-2013 at 10:10 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a very minimalistic darkroom setup, so no matter what results are at least somewhat different from roll to roll. I was under the impression that stand developing might yield some better results in regards to tightening up some grain--which is actually my primary concern, moreso than contrast. Let me clarify by saying that there is MUCH more grain in my HP5+ negatives than my Tri-X.

For whatever reason, when I push my Tri-X to 1600, the grain almost disappears and I'm left with a wonderfully clear image--which is what I would like to try and achieve with HP5+ here's a picture of what I've already produced with HP5+ and a Rodinal 1:50 concentration:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tumblr_mimpz0rkFK1rsfqq7o1_1280.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	289.2 KB 
ID:	64557
    (Edit: Click on the photo and it'll open up real big!)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Stand development times for HP5+ in Rodinal?

Quote Originally Posted by kchoquette View Post
    I have a very minimalistic darkroom setup, so no matter what results are at least somewhat different from roll to roll. I was under the impression that stand developing might yield some better results in regards to tightening up some grain--which is actually my primary concern, moreso than contrast. Let me clarify by saying that there is MUCH more grain in my HP5+ negatives than my Tri-X.

For whatever reason, when I push my Tri-X to 1600, the grain almost disappears and I'm left with a wonderfully clear image--which is what I would like to try and achieve with HP5+ here's a picture of what I've already produced with HP5+ and a Rodinal 1:50 concentration:

Name:	tumblr_mimpz0rkFK1rsfqq7o1_1280.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	289.2 KB 
ID:	64557
    (Edit: Click on the photo and it'll open up real big!)
    Any examples of that grainless tri-x at 1600 you can show us?

Also what are your times, temps, developer and technique on your HP5? Personally I'm loving it at 800 for about 15min with Rodinal 1-50 but its certainly not grainless. For less grain I use Tmax 100/400 or Acros.

Also getting some nice look at 320 in HC-110:

Devil's Tower Tele-Rolleiflex IlfordHP5+ HC-110dilH by rich8155 (Richard Sintchak), on Flickr
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've been thinking about changing developers for a while now. Those results you got a much closer to what I'm seeing when I'm developing for 1600 with Tri-X. I used the developing times on the Digital Truth page, 13th column down.

As for my Tri-X, the most comparable image I would have is this:

Name:	tumblr_mh3b8eCBMu1rsfqq7o1_r1_1280.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	278.4 KB 
ID:	64564

You can see the grain is a lot tighter and less pronounced than the HP5+ which confuses me greatly! It's something I haven't been able to figure out, but boy do I like shooting my Tri-X at 1600!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    When Kodak reformulated their films and moved to a new modern coating facility they produced a very fine grained film in 400TX (the new name for Tr-X). So I am not surprised by your findings.

Might I suggest that you try HC-110 1:50 with 400TX. This is a very nice combination. Development times are available at http://www.covingtoninnovations.com/hc110. Use the times for dilution E (1:48). The dilution 1:50 is easier to measure than 1:48. Just use 5 ml of concentrate to make 250 ml of working strength developer.
    Last edited by Gerald C Koch; 02-22-2013 at 10:58 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Wonderful! It's liquid based, so I'll have less of a hard time using it, haha. Good call on it being 300ml, I only develop one roll at a time and usually flush the developer. Will this tighten up the grain for me some? I've been meaning to try some new developers.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    HC-110 produces very fine grain with 400TX and nice tonality. The grain will be finer than for Rodinal. As an added plus the concentrate has a very long shelf life even in partially used bottles.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I might add that some people use a medical syringe which is intended to deliver such things as cough syrup. One is illustrated in the Covington site. However, a recent post indicated that these may not be very accurate. A better choice would be to buy a 25 - 30 ml graduate (1 ounce). Either the syringe or the graduate is made to hold the marked amount so it is important to rinse it and add the rinsings to the dilute developer.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin