Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,920   Posts: 1,522,027   Online: 899

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Driving GraveDigger

I planned a nice day with my son and the right opportunity to shoot some big trucks with Velvia 50 on my Rolleicord and Tmax 100 on my Olympus OM-1n at The MonsterJam event in Miami.
    It was completely impossible because of my son's excitement, but at the end we had a great time together, not a great shooting day.

Some keepers

Olympus OM-1n
    Zuiko 21mm F/3.5
    Tmax 100
    HC-110 / 8minutes / Dilution H
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Riding GraveDigger.jpg   Epons_Scan_561.jpg  
    Last edited by mindthemix; 02-22-2013 at 03:13 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Nice! I'm in Naples right now shooting with a OM-1n & Tri-X.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would not dare to go to such event with an OM.

I guess some ULF camera woul be more appropriate. Well, their bellows seem a bit out of date... What about a 9.5x9.5" arial surveying camera mounted horizontally on a decent tripod?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You got two great pictures of your kid, probably having the time of his life at a monster truck rally, an event that can never be recreated again but you claim you had an unsuccessful day?

I say you you might want to think again.

Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Worker 11811 View Post
    You got two great pictures of your kid, probably having the time of his life at a monster truck rally, an event that can never be recreated again but you claim you had an unsuccessful day?

Yes those two shots will be lifelong achievements. Today as we walked around a local town, my 10 year old told his buddy about bubblegum alley where I took the best picture ever of him a few years ago.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Any day with the kids having fun trumps a day shooting.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Success (at photography) isn't always what we originally planned it to be.

Things you plan to do might not turn out as well as you hoped. Things you thought weren't very well, at first, might turn out to be good later on.

In 1986, I went on a trip to Boston to visit friends at college. I graduated high school the year before and was going to school at a local college. My friends were going to school in Boston. I went there to look at schools and spend time with friends. One friend worked for the school yearbook so we spent the day hanging around the photo lab.

I got a roll of Ilford film from the lab and spent the afternoon going around town, seeing sights and shooting some pictures. I came back, developed the film and, when it was ready, I looked at the results. A few shots were so-so, at best, but the majority were junk... or so I thought. I put the negatives in a Print-File, stuck them in a notebook and promptly forgot about them for 25 years.

A little over a year ago, I was going through my old notebooks and I took a look at those old negatives. On a whim, I scanned a few of them. Two shots that I once though were crap turned out to be pretty good. Back then, I thought they were dark, blurry and out of focus but, looking at them with a fresh eye, I realized that "dark and blurry" is what made the picture.

I just got through printing those two pictures. I plan to enter them in a local art show that starts next month. I took these prints to a local frame shop to have them framed. As it turns out, the owner of the shop is one of the judges for that show. Of course, he can't pre-juge works until they are actually submitted but he did say that he liked them. I could tell that it wasn't just talk. I'm not expecting these photos to win prizes or anything but I've got a good feeling of accomplishment and, with luck, I might get noticed.

Isn't it ironic that pictures I thought were junk, that I might have thrown away, turned out to be worthwhile, more than 25 years later?

I wonder what you will think of some of those pictures that you thought weren't very good or, maybe some of those pictures that you stored away and forgot about, 25 years from now.
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Shooter
    Multi Format

Hey Randy. We had a great time together of course!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    BTW! After packing the analog gear, I recorded a lot of video with the Fuji X100 so we have great stuff from that day. Of course digital is not part of this forum so I didn't mention in my original post.

I'm extremely happy with our two keepers!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Success (at photography) isn't always what we originally planned it to be.

Things you plan to do might not turn out as well as you hoped. Things you thought weren't very well, at first, might turn out to be good later on.

In 1986, I went on a trip to Boston to visit friends at college. I graduated high school the year before and was going to school at a local college. My friends were going to school in Boston. I went there to look at schools and spend time with friends. One friend worked for the school yearbook so we spent the day hanging around the photo lab.

I got a roll of Ilford film from the lab and spent the afternoon going around town, seeing sights and shooting some pictures. I came back, developed the film and, when it was ready, I looked at the results. A few shots were so-so, at best, but the majority were junk... or so I thought. I put the negatives in a Print-File, stuck them in a notebook and promptly forgot about them for 25 years.

A little over a year ago, I was going through my old notebooks and I took a look at those old negatives. On a whim, I scanned a few of them. Two shots that I once though were crap turned out to be pretty good. Back then, I thought they were dark, blurry and out of focus but, looking at them with a fresh eye, I realized that "dark and blurry" is what made the picture.

I just got through printing those two pictures. I plan to enter them in a local art show that starts next month. I took these prints to a local frame shop to have them framed. As it turns out, the owner of the shop is one of the judges for that show. Of course, he can't pre-juge works until they are actually submitted but he did say that he liked them. I could tell that it wasn't just talk. I'm not expecting these photos to win prizes or anything but I've got a good feeling of accomplishment and, with luck, I might get noticed.

Isn't it ironic that pictures I thought were junk, that I might have thrown away, turned out to be worthwhile, more than 25 years later?

I wonder what you will think of some of those pictures that you thought weren't very good or, maybe some of those pictures that you stored away and forgot about, 25 years from now.
    That's a lovely story Randy, and I'm sure every inch of film will give us in the future the opportunity for a long talk with my son remembering that event.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin