Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,207   Posts: 1,531,907   Online: 1164

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Pt/Pd, Gold Chloride, and Reuse of Developers

In Chapter 10 ("Platinum and Palladium Prints," p. 144) of Laura Blacklow's New Dimensions in Photo Processes: a Step-by-Step Manual (3rd ed., Focal Press, 2000), the author states--in connection with her Sensitizer no. 4, which includes a drop or two of gold chloride--"if gold chloride is used, do not replenish the developer as suggested in the tips." Perhaps due to an editorial oversight, the tips don't mention replenishing the developer; nevertheless...

Why not replenish the developer if gold chloride is sometimes used? Is it simply to avoid contaminating other prints, which may not otherwise include gold chloride their sensitizers, or does the gold chloride compromise the overall effectiveness of the reused developer (whether Ammonium Citrate or Potassium Oxalate) down the road?

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Gold makes the pt image very cold, even purple. Once you have used developer on a print with gold in it, it forever has gold in the developer and will cool any image placed in it thereafter.

I have 2 containers of developer, one for gold and one for all others. (even the gold developer is purple)

It only needs replenishing when it needs more developer solution to properly cover and develop a print, otherwise it's fine.

I've bee using the same developer for many years now.

Shooter
    Large Format
    When using gold, what is the difference between ammonium citrate and potassium oxalate?
    Thanks§
    Philippe Grunchec

"The fundamental problem any artist faces in regard to craft is that it must be largely ignored" Richard Benson.

http://philippe.grunchec-photographe.over-blog.com/

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I routinely add a very small amount of gold chloride in mixing my emulsion pt/pd/au and replenish the ammonium citrate but do not get cold nor purple tones. The tones are warm. The ammonium citrate when "new" is clear but the previously used is a light yellow-brown. I've been doing it this way for more than ten years and have never come up with cold tones.

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Philippe Grunchec View Post
    When using gold, what is the difference between ammonium citrate and potassium oxalate?
    Thanks§
    Image color, image contrast and printing speed.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have only used Oxalate. Is there really a big difference in cold tone with citrate? In other words will i see a difference if just using Pd?

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Interesting Jeff,

The image I did was so purple I couldnt use it. What was the concentration? I think mine was a few drops of 5%.

R
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    www.RobertHall.com/mobile
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

Technology is not a panacea. It alone will not move your art forward. Only through developing your own aesthetic - free from the tools that create it - can you find new dimension to your work.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin