Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,821   Posts: 1,581,876   Online: 1117

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Urgh, funny spots on negatives ..

I've been doing only 120 film recently, and have had these funny spots show up on my negatives. I thought it might be the camera, but the spots have occurred with two different cameras now. Anyone know what the problem is? Steel reels, by the way, if that matters.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dev spots.JPG  
    Those who know, shoot film

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It doesn't look like a camera problem, rather a case of the edge not being evenly developed and something touching the film.

Steel reels shouldn't do this, the only thing I can think of off the top of my head is are you winding the film onto the reel emulsion side in, or emulsion side out? If emulsion side out the emulsion will be in contact with the reel, emulsion side in less so. But looking more closely I can see some streaking from the spots that runs across the film, so perhaps contamination?

Steve

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for the response!

Contamination as in developer > fixer contamination? I'm not using a stop bath, but rinsing for 30 seconds in running water and shaking thoroughly
    Those who know, shoot film

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I not only see spots but streaks too.

Oops, already mentioned...

Streaks are typically a sign of an agition related issue.
    This may be absence of any agition (gravity streaks) or a localized over-development due to local turbulance.

In this case the shape makes one think of gravity streaks, but then I would rather expect min-density.
    Last edited by AgX; 02-24-2013 at 07:26 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's caused by the emulsion sticking to the reel in places, thus getting shielded from the chemistry.
    Refixing in a tray (assuming you've cut them into strips already) will take care of it.

OTH, I have never bothered and haven't noticed that it causes any problems, my oldest negs are only a few decade old now though, so we'll see...

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    But just film sticking to the reels won't explain those streaks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'd try placing the film in a bath of fixer for few minutes and the streak goes away.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Any rust on the reels? Cheap stainless steel will rust.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    My guess would be rust, too, or some other gunk on the inner side of the reels that hold the film, influencing the negative that is in immediate contact with the area. If you always spool your film more or less the same amount on your reel, spread out the film that has this problem and see if it's occuring in roughly the same place along the film. If so, spread out a roll of film (developed or undeveloped/bad film), mark the same location with pink marker, then spool it in the reel all the way to your usual amount. Find the place you marked, and with a magnifying glass, check the underside of the metal there for corrosion, etc. Take a toothbrush and give that spot a good brushing.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Urgh, funny spots on negatives ..

I think it's residue build up as well. Over time gelatin from the emulsion can possibly transfer over if using developer at higher temps. Also if you like to join 120 rolls with a section of tape for developing, the tape residue could come off and make that part sticky. I always use very hot water and a fine tooth brush to wash after every roll developed. After a while I will also use a bit of hot soapy water and do a more thorough cleaning.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin