Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,678   Posts: 1,482,147   Online: 1024

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BMbikerider View Post
    In case it is a fixer problem then simply dunk it in the fixer again for 3-4 mins, if it is inadequate fixing it should clear.. For solarisation to take place it has to go back into the developer BEFORE FIXING which is not what happened here.
    Correct. If fixing is incomplete, the negative will have a visible milkiness that should clear when re-fixed. Looking at the images, I think there could be developing problems as well. Partially exhausted developer, inconsistent agitation, foaming are some of the potential problems. I do not think it is temperature-induced reticulation. To the OP: Are you using fresh chemicals? If your fixer is showing any sign of sulphur precipitating out (i.e. yellow crystals or milkiness in the fixer) it must be replaced. Is your developer fresh? You know the D76 guidelines: 2 months if opened; 6 months in a full stoppered bottle. Anything beyond that is a gamble.

As for the film: What is Ilford Pan 400? Is it old film? I know only HP5+ and Delta 400. If the film is very old, it should not be used at box speed. One can add a stop for every ten years or so. And from my experience with old film, D76 is not the best developer for that. Maybe try HC-110 rather.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks guys, really appreciate your thoughts on it. I think I'll bin the fixer and start with a fresh batch.

Dorff, its an import film from Ilford here's the link to it http://www.firstcall-photographic.co...00-30m-iso-400
    As I understand it. It is hp5 but not hp5+

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for the link. I've never seen it before, so I've learned something! I order most of my stuff from B&H, and locally in South Africa the variety is limited to the mainstream products. If you get the developing sorted and your results improve, I would like to know your opinion on this film. Obviously, if it is in-date film, then D76 should not be a problem. I made the HC-110 comment on the basis that it is the developer that consistently produces the lowest fog for me. There are some newer emulsions like Rollei RPX400 and Kentmere's 400 that I also develop with it as those tend to fog in most other developers, Rodinal being the worst, but D76 also not that great.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin