Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,499   Posts: 1,571,566   Online: 1155

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Weird results from my film, maybe reticulation?

Heya guys,
    So I had a shoot a week or so ago in some local woods with a friend. I used my OM2 and Ilford Pan 400, shot at box speed and souped in d76 1+1 @20c.

As you can see from the shot here, they are a mite messed up. Is this reticulation.

I had the dev, stop and fix all at 20c but the wash water was straight out the tap and that is the only thing that is different was that the tap wash was cold. The weird thing for me is the almost solarisation effect in part of the negative but not in others.

Any ideas?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Scan-130209-0002sm.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	151.6 KB 
ID:	64743
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Scan-130209-0001sm.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	134.4 KB 
ID:	64742

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Reticulation has a very distinctive pattern which I don't see in your samples. Additionally reticulation would effect the entire negative and not be spotty as in the sample. A low alkalinity developer like D-76 would not soften the emulsion to allow this to happen. With modern emulsions it is very hard to produce unintentionally.

Is there any milkiness in the negatives particularly toward the center which would indicate improper fixing?
    Last edited by Gerald C Koch; 02-24-2013 at 08:00 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Is that how the negative looks or is it an artifact from the scan?

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I bet your fixer was weak and, when you pulled the film out at your usual time, the film wasn't completely fixed. When the light hit the incompletely fixed film, partial solarization (Sabbatier) occurred.
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Severely low contrast with streaks and blotches. Looks like bad fix and maybe foam in the developer along with some other problems.

PE

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    $20 on worker 11811.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I agree with worker 11811, weak or incomplete fix.

Just for the record, I've reticulated Tri- X several times when, after processing at 68º all the way through, my wash water ran very hot. Some sheets showed complete reticulation pattern, others, only portions of the sheet were reticulated, perhaps owing to the sheets of film rising above the surface during the washing.

I've accidentally reticulated Tri-X sheet film a couple of times. PMK developer followed by cold wash water. The alkalinity of the developer may have something to do with it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Another vote for fixing problems. Either exhausted fix, or not fixed long enough.

Steve

Shooter
    35mm
    In case it is a fixer problem then simply dunk it in the fixer again for 3-4 mins, if it is inadequate fixing it should clear.. For solarisation to take place it has to go back into the developer BEFORE FIXING which is not what happened here.
    Reticulation will mainly be caused by going from one fluid - developer which is at a high temp into a much cooler temp fluid - fixer. Or vice versa. Modern emulsions are pretty well proof against that happening unless the temp extremes are well apart.
    Last edited by BMbikerider; 02-25-2013 at 05:37 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin