Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,749   Posts: 1,483,773   Online: 752

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jpa View Post
    Thanks. X-Tol is one developer that I've always wanted to try out, but never did. I actually do have a bag of it that I bought about a year ago, but obviously never got around to mixing up.
    You know, the very best thing you could do would be to shoot another roll of TMax 100 at 320, and try different developing times. If you get too much contrast, you shorten development time. If you get too little, develop longer.
    The trick is to shoot in similar lighting conditions as the first roll you mistakenly shot.

If your shots are important to you, you should do this testing before you attempt to develop the roll.

Exposing TMX at 320 is not a disaster at all. I have purposely exposed TMX at 400, in order to mimic the tone curve of the now departed Tri-X 320. It works really well, as long as you use a developer that's efficient in the shadows. Xtol is perfect for this exercise. You might even see an improvement this way, since the toe of both TMax films (100 and 400) is abrupt, and with so much shadow detail, flare is more prominent. To expose less and let an efficient developer 'rescue' some of the shadow tones on the toe of the curve helps with flare, something that Tri-X 320 (and 400) does naturally.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

jpa

Shooter
    Medium Format
    OK, I developed the film in HC-110, solution B at 70 degrees C, as per the MDC. I altered the development time to 12 minutes, with agitation for the first minute, then 3 every minute, but at the halfway point, I decided to agitate every two minutes. They appear to be slightly over-developed, but I shouldn't have much problem printing them.

Thanks for the assistance, people!

Shooter
    35mm
    Sorry, this is late - but I have a recipe for TMax 100 pushed to 320 for 9:30 at 21*C in 500ml of Ethol UFG (Stock).

I haven't tried it, but there it is.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jpa View Post
    OK, I developed the film in HC-110, solution B at 70 degrees C, as per the MDC. I altered the development time to 12 minutes, with agitation for the first minute, then 3 every minute, but at the halfway point, I decided to agitate every two minutes. They appear to be slightly over-developed, but I shouldn't have much problem printing them.

Thanks for the assistance, people!
    I see on MDC that 100 ISO is 6 minutes and 400 is 11,5 minutes. (at 68F)
    So, from that, and your initial results, maybe 9-10 minutes would be the sweet-spot? (that's around 50% increase in time from ISO 100).

Good to hear that it wasn't a disaster though =)
    -
    "Nice picture, you must have an amazing camera."
    Visit my photography blog at: http://helino-photo.blogspot.com

jpa

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Helinophoto View Post
    I see on MDC that 100 ISO is 6 minutes and 400 is 11,5 minutes. (at 68F)
    So, from that, and your initial results, maybe 9-10 minutes would be the sweet-spot? (that's around 50% increase in time from ISO 100).

Good to hear that it wasn't a disaster though =)
    Yes, you're most likely correct. I had already developed some film, and decided to try the T-Max. I saw the 11.5 minute time for T-max at 400, but in my mind I thought of it as "320". Guess I shouldn't have developed it as late as I did

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Helinophoto View Post
    Do a clip-test first, just to be sure it hasn't died on you (I hear it can die in the bag).

it was the 1L packages of xtol that died in the bag, kodak stopped packaging small amounts of xtol
    over a decade ago ... and extreme dilutions they used to recommend ( like 1:10 ) also caused "sudden death" ...
    if the OP has xtol that isn't 15 years old and in a 1L bag ... and isn't diluting more than 1:3 i think he will be fine

john
    ( yes i have xperienced xtol sudden death but it was 15+ years ago )

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ah, thanks Jnanian for clarifying, I've been warned so many times myself that I've been expecting my xtol-bag to yawn out its death moan from the kitchen cupboard at any moment (been stored for a year now)
    -
    "Nice picture, you must have an amazing camera."
    Visit my photography blog at: http://helino-photo.blogspot.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin