Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,924   Posts: 1,556,704   Online: 1170

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    jpa

Shooter
    Medium Format

T-Max 100 at 320 development times?

I shot a roll of T-Max 100 at 320, mistakenly thinking that it was Tri-X. I can't seem to find any information regarding this.

So, I'd like to know if anyone has any experience developing T-Max pushed to 320 ( I do not ). I'd prefer to use either Pyrocat HD, Rodinal or Finol, as those are the developers that I use most frequently ( and have on hand at the moment ). Any assistance is appreciated.

Thanks,
    JP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, according to Kodak, TMax 100 can be shot at 100 or 200 without needing to change the development time (weird).
    So, around 1/2 stop from that again.....(probably would have counted it as 1 stop myself and added 25% from ISO 100 times, as I don't really believe in the above mentioned statement).

With Ethol, I see that someone had added 50% to the 100 ISO time to get to 320:
    http://www.digitaltruth.com/devchart...er=&mdc=Search

Not sure if this helps, hope you can figure it out ^^
    Last edited by Helinophoto; 02-25-2013 at 11:51 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    -
    "Nice picture, you must have an amazing camera."
    Visit my photography blog at: http://helino-photo.blogspot.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have pushed TMX to 400 using Xtol 1+1. Works great.

With Rodinal, I'd use it dilute, like 1+75 or 1+100. Develop a long time, agitate 10 seconds every three minutes.

A decent starting time for 1+100 would be 30 minutes.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Helinophoto View Post
    Well, according to Kodak, TMax 100 can be shot at 100 or 200 without needing to change the development time (weird).
    Actually, not weird at all.

"Pushing" doesn't significantly change the film's sensitivity, it just increases contrast.

So while a a push development may improve the contrast in the near shadows (where underexposure will cause low contrast), it will also increase contrast in the highlights, which may very well be detrimental to the image.

So Kodak is saying that the improvement you will gain in the shadows from a one stop push isn't worth the loss of quality in the highlights you will experience.
    Last edited by MattKing; 02-25-2013 at 02:40 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    None of those developers would be very good for "pushing" Tmax 100. Can you get a hold of any D-76 or HC-110? Times and temps for both of those with Tmax 100 at 400 can be found here:

http://www.digitaltruth.com/devchart.php
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'll second Thomas's XTOL suggestion but I'd dilute it 1+3 and reduce agitation (although this actually doesn't appear to help much with tabular films).

jpa

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    I have pushed TMX to 400 using Xtol 1+1. Works great.

With Rodinal, I'd use it dilute, like 1+75 or 1+100. Develop a long time, agitate 10 seconds every three minutes.

A decent starting time for 1+100 would be 30 minutes.
    Thanks. X-Tol is one developer that I've always wanted to try out, but never did. I actually do have a bag of it that I bought about a year ago, but obviously never got around to mixing up.

jpa

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I do have a bottle of HC-110 lying about. It's a couple of years old, but I'm sure that it's fine. I never really got on with it, so I forgot all about it! I guess I'll go with that, since I'd rather travel the path of least resistance ( or at least the path of the tried and true... ).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jpa View Post
    Thanks. X-Tol is one developer that I've always wanted to try out, but never did. I actually do have a bag of it that I bought about a year ago, but obviously never got around to mixing up.
    Do a clip-test first, just to be sure it hasn't died on you (I hear it can die in the bag).
    -
    "Nice picture, you must have an amazing camera."
    Visit my photography blog at: http://helino-photo.blogspot.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You don't mention how you meter. If you placed the deep shadows on zone IV or V then you should be OK. If you placed them on zone I or II then there will not be any useful exposure of the film in those areas. You need 4 or more silver atoms in your speck to be developable.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin