Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,492   Posts: 1,542,982   Online: 898

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: TRI X vs TMAX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    We should just be clear on some Tri-X terminology here. Thomas, when you talk about making TMY-2 look like Tri-X, are you referring to TXP 320 (the longer toe, "upswept" curve film) or TX 400 (which has a fairly straight curve)?

Shooter
    35mm
    You are quite right Matt, I had inadvertently referred to the Old TMax 400 tech pub F4016. When I had developed what is new TMax 400 at 800 I had used the time stated in the new pub of 9.25 mins for Xtol 1+1 at 68F and found the negs to be OK but a little flat and grey looking compared with negs at 400 using the same time which as you say applies to both speeds in the new tech pub F4043. In fact the time of 9.25 mins applies to both old and new TMax 400 but only to 120 film as the old pub differentiates between 135 and 120 which the new doesn't. My film happened to be the 120

When I had another look I had gone to the old pub F4016 where it differentiates 400 from 800 by an extra 1.5 mins and also differentiates times for 135 v 120 which the new pub doesn't

However when you get to 1600 the old pub's times and new pub's times are only 15 secs apart and if you were to divide the difference in times between the 400 and 1600 times( 9.25 and 12.25 in F4043) you get to 1.5 mins which is exactly the same time as the old pub gives for 800

Confusingly the old pub states that there are "no increase in processing times required for a one stop push with most developers but makes Xtol the exception to this rule. I haven't checked how many developers are the exception to the rules other than Xtol

I must say that I'd be tempted to increase the dev time for 800 in the new TMax400 with Xtol although the pub seems to say that the loss in contrast in the neg can be made up for in using a half a grade increase in paper grade.

So presumably if I were to try for a longer dev time to increase the contrast in the neg Kodak would say this does no more for me than increase the paper grade by a half so why bother?

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael R 1974 View Post
    We should just be clear on some Tri-X terminology here. Thomas, when you talk about making TMY-2 look like Tri-X, are you referring to TXP 320 (the longer toe, "upswept" curve film) or TX 400 (which has a fairly straight curve)?
    Sorry, I always forget. When I try to emulate Tri-X 320 (TXP), I usually underexpose more and push process the TMax.

The above, with a one stop lesser exposure and longer agitation intervals are to emulate Tri-X 400, which has a little bit more of a toe than TMax, and a little bit of a shoulder.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkroom317 View Post
    I far prefer Tri-X. I rate it at 200 and develop in Rodinal. I tried Tmax 400 the other day at box speed and didn't much care for it. I may do some more for work with it to get the EI that works best. But I think I will just stick with Tr-X
    You really can't tell what a film is all about by only shooting a few rolls. A single rolls is not going to tell you a lot. I probably shot about 20 rolls of Tmy-2 400 before I had it dialed in to where it worked for me. Give it another, longer look. You may be in for a pleasant surprise.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin