Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,592   Posts: 1,546,045   Online: 901

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Keeping properties of Dimezone S, Phenidone, and Metol?

My "room temperature" storage ranges from high-50s Fahrenheit in winter to low-70s in summer. Does anyone have a sense of shelf life for these chemicals under such conditions? I store Glycin in the deep freeze, but space in "my" part of the freezer is pretty tight, what with all the film.

Thanks!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Decades for the dimezone, phenidone, and metol. I've had glycin lose strength in 2 years even when stored at 0F.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I learned an expensive lesson. Phenidone does not keep well in the heat and humidity of Florida especially when left in the original plastic jar. These chemicals should be stored in glass away from light, humidity and heat.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Dimezone is a Phenidone derivate developed for longer shelf life.
    ---
    Uwe Pilz

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I've got both Kodak Elon in glass jar very old that's fine. And also Kodak Hydroquinone and Metol in carboard boxes in plastic bags that were sorta open (decades old by the look I think), also fine.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald C Koch View Post
    I learned an expensive lesson. Phenidone does not keep well in the heat and humidity of Florida especially when left in the original plastic jar. These chemicals should be stored in glass away from light, humidity and heat.
    Jerry - did it get kind of gummy and not dissolve?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I put Phenidone and Dimezone in Propylene Glycol. It lasts a long time in Glycol, a few years at least. It is also easier to deal with a percentage solution since they are both potent which makes weighing out less than a gram problematic. I have never had Metol long enough to know how it lasts in dry form, although anecdotal evidence suggests it lasts a long time.

From what I understand, Dimezone is a derivative of Phenidone that is optimized for a long life in solution. It is pretty much interchangeable and I use it that way. For example, a version of E-72 paper developer I use lasts months and months. I usually end up throwing it away before it is kaput.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Keyes View Post
    Jerry - did it get kind of gummy and not dissolve?
    It resembled tar, black and gooey. I didn't even try to use it.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've Phenidone made in 1962, Metol, Hydroquinone etc from the 1950's all as good as new.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've recently ordered Phenidone from a chemical factory. The sticker on the box states a shelf life of 2 years.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin