Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,557   Posts: 1,545,185   Online: 1039

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Printing On "OLD" Grade 4 AZO

I just won a 500ct box of Old Grade 4 AZO paper on eBay.

I don't remember where I read it but if I remember correctly there is little to worry about when buying Old AZO.

The auction description says that the paper is still sealed in the inner bags. My only concern is the paper being fogged from age.

If this is the case is there anything that can be added to the developer (I'm planning on using Simth's Amidol) to help?

Thanks,

Jim
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"...Wayne Gretzky

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Addition

Jim-I'm of the opinion that about one to one and half ounces of a 1% benzotriazole solution will bring it back. It's also called anti-foggant. Good luck
    Peter

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by JMoore

I don't remember where I read it but if I remember correctly there is little to worry about when buying Old AZO.

The auction description says that the paper is still sealed in the inner bags. My only concern is the paper being fogged from age.

If this is the case is there anything that can be added to the developer (I'm planning on using Simth's Amidol) to help?

Thanks,

Jim
    Jim,

You are a lucky man. According to Michael Smith AZO ages very well and grade 4 can produce tones with some negatives that aren't achievable with current grade 2 or 3.

Don Bryant

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by JMoore

Thanks,

Jim
    Jim,
    One other note:

Don't be surprised if Michael reads your post he may want to purchase it! Maybe trade 100 sheets for a print .

Don

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Congratulations Jim! I would not worry about if you find that indeed the paper is still sealed within the inner wrappings. I find that I cannot fog AZO paper if I tried (I exagerate of course but you get the picture).
    Francesco

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Ditto Jim. I have read several accounts of people finding decades-old Azo and having no trouble with it at all. I would try the straight MAS amidol formula first. Of course, Michael is probably the best authority for all Azo matters. You should contact him if you need real help.

PS - like said above, don't be surprised if Michael contacts you for a swap.
    Semper Fi & God Bless America
    My Photography Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Jim, I did my best to fog a few sheets. I could say it was an experiment, but it was just a mistake on my part. I left a couple of sheets at the paper cutter when chopping up some 4x5 from 8x10, just forgot to put them back into the safe. After the exposure, I went around to the other side and started developing. Needed to do an adjustment on the lamp, so after the print was in water, I flipped on the light switch. Didn't notice the paper for a minute or so. The top two sheets were fogged, the others were fine except for the edges. This stuff is pretty forgiving. Anything else would have been a total loss. tim

Shooter
    Large Format
    I have some really old (cadium emulsion) Grade 1 through 4 that I bought on Ebay a couple of years ago. Beautiful stuff...much better then the current emulsion. It was not fogged. Azo lasts a long time.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As near as I can tell, and the experts can correct me if needed, but Azo seems to last forever.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    "I am an anarchist." - HCB
    "I wanna be anarchist." - JR

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin