Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,735   Posts: 1,515,373   Online: 1065

Shooter
    35mm

Using expired HC110 syrup

I have a part-used bottle of HC110, the syrup type. There is still a large amount in the bottle, but it is way out-of-date. I think it expired in 1997. I have tried it and it still seems to work. Can anyone tell me if it should work as intended, or if there is likely to be some form of deterioration in its quality? Is it a case of it either works, or not, or is it likely to develop the film but give a lesser quality result? I will use it if is capable of giving results to the original standard. I don't want to throw it out if it can be used. Thanks for any advice. Alex.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I've used HC-110 that old or older that had oxidized to a deep brown color and it worked just fine. Still, shooting and developing a test roll or sheet would be a good idea to make sure.

Jonathan

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Same here.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As far as I can tell, HC-110 doesn't go bad. I've used it when It's a dark brown too and it doesn't lose it's strength. Tell me if I'm wrong. I think it's because the developer is suspended in glycerol instead of water.
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Actually, it does go bad. It just takes longer. I once bought a case of HC110 in old square bottles and it produced absolutely no images - blank film. So test it before you use it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The regular life span of HC-110 is 3-4 years. Unless you're filling up in seperate glass bottles it gives some extra years.
    My favorite store: http://www.fotohuisrovo.nl

Shooter
    35mm

Using expired HC110 syrup

Thanks for the replies. The colour is still yellow/orange, rather than brown. I will try it out soon on something not too important.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've had one batch of HC110 go bad, and that was a square bottle dated to the early 80's. The stuff I'm using now supposedly went belly up in 2006–it works great.

It has a long, longe life in concentrate form. I used to mix the stock solution from concentrate and put it into smaller bottles. The stock would eventually darken, but I used it anyway without noticeable loss of quality in the final images. HC-110 is pretty robust stuff.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin