Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,535,817   Online: 709

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: developer claim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ntenny View Post
    Me too. Well, I suppose "need" is too strong a word, but I face plenty of situations where EI 3200 is kind of a bare minimum.

Medium format is probably a kind of sweet spot for extreme pushing; the equipment is small enough for carrying around and shooting handheld, grain isn't nearly as big an issue as it is in 35mm, and really fast lenses are rare and bulky. A 35mm shooter can use an f/1.4 lens without extraordinary effort, and f/1.2 is fairly common; a large format shooter will be on a tripod and can do long exposures; but in MF, you're often stuck with f/2.8 or so and trying to handhold.

-NT
    All true and I agree. Another factor is depth of field. I still plan, eventually, to pony up the money for an 80 1.9 for my Mamiya 645 Pro, but DOF is really shallow at 80mm and f/1.9. Otherwise, it's a great camera for available light. Even with the 2.8 lenses I have, with Delta 3200 at 3200 I get results I really like. Same with my Yashicamat 124 but that means f/3.5 and every little bit counts - the Mamiya at 2.8 is faster, handles much faster, and has exposure automation and the winder grip. (It's also a lot louder with the winder and mirror slap and thus a lot more obtrusive and like carrying a cinder block around your neck compared to the Yashicamat - no camera is perfect.)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Here is an EI of 51200 for Rodinal 1:100 2 hour semi-stand, the time I was using for Tri-X for 3200-6400. This particular neg is 6x7cm, very thin, 2.5-3 stop dynamic range and very large grain. But a picture none the less.

Tri-X 51200 Test #1, Beach Night by athiril, on Flickr

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Athiril View Post
    Here is an EI of 51200 for Rodinal 1:100 2 hour semi-stand, the time I was using for Tri-X for 3200-6400. This particular neg is 6x7cm, very thin, 2.5-3 stop dynamic range and very large grain. But a picture none the less.
    It looks pretty good considering. Is that a negative scan or a wet print?

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    35mm
    How is one able to achieve these speeds with an average SLR? My SLR's highest speed setting is ISO 3200. How does one achieve a speed of 25600 or 51200 or even 6400?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ntenny View Post
    It looks pretty good considering. Is that a negative scan or a wet print?

-NT
    Scan.

To print like that grade 5 might be enough. Might. It was seriously thin, otherwise extending development longer, or replacing with fresh Rodinal 1+100 and stand longer may get you better printing density for the same thing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by madgardener View Post
    How is one able to achieve these speeds with an average SLR? My SLR's highest speed setting is ISO 3200. How does one achieve a speed of 25600 or 51200 or even 6400?
    Simple. If the exposure override won't offer another stop, shoot on manual and adjust. My Pentax MX oddly only goes to 1600. I shoot TMZ at 3200 in it pretty commonly. Just meter at 1600 and expose one stop less. Two stops less for 6400.

Shooter
    35mm
    Athirils shot looks fairly pictorial in the varied tones but, from his description, I wouldn't enjoy printing the neg! It would have the "middle" grey right down at the bottom of the curve somewhere but at least there is still a decent variation across the image. Was there any problem with reciprocity failure with the exposure time used? (I'm assuming there was a tripod involved here )

Often the crazy-extreme-push examples one sees contain detail only in the highlights. In other words, the parts which are at least four stops brighter than the rest of the shot . . . so perhaps "push" people tend to see what they want to see regarding achievable EI. It could be interesting in medium format though, with long shutter speeds and night shots. I have tried several times to get the town lights, the river and passing barge lights all in the same exposure but the town lights over power the river traffic - the up-rating idea might be handy for this.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Roger, just to confrim do you use Diafine with Delta 3200?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    pentaxuser ,

...Certainly the Efke 100 film examples look remarkable...
    I've been over this thread a few times, and I'm not sure I'm finding the examples you're mentioning.
    Can you please post a link, or are the images in the gallery here at APUG?

PDF Data Sheet:
    http://www.filmus-monochromus.org/li...ursinn_HCD.pdf

Images from - filmdev.org w/flickr links:
    http://filmdev.org/developer/show/1063

Marc
    Last edited by Marc B.; 02-28-2013 at 07:24 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Here's the link, Marc. http://www.spuer-sinn.net/blog1/prod...ew-bildspiele/

It is of course in german but scroll down and you will get to the pictures which of course aren't in german

pentaxuser

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin