Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,910   Posts: 1,556,201   Online: 1016

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

Can I use just one beaker for mixing up developing chemicals?

Hi All!

I ordered a bunch of stuff from B&H yesterday to get started developing my own black and white film. I'm starting off with Ilford chemistry since I'm shooting with Ilford film. I ordered a set of borosilicate graduated beakers from Amazon that comes with 1000, 600, 250, 100, and 50mL beakers. I read somewhere before that people often use 16oz plastic cups for holding working solutions, so I didn't think having four 1000mL beakers would be necessary (I need 600mL of each working solution to develop two 35mm rolls at a time), but now I'm curious if using the same graduate to mix up the developer as the fixer is going to deplete the fixer quicker than otherwise? Or will mixing up the stop solution in between mitigate this?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Find containers that will hold 600ml of your mixed chemicals. I use plastic pop bottles, one for each chemical. I use one graduated cylinder to measure out the water and chemical, into the pop bottles. I rinse the graduated cylinder between chemicals.
    --
    Kenton Brede
    http://kentonbrede.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Using separate graduates for dev and fix helps to avoid errors and contamination.
    But, as kbrede indicates, using one is fine if you rinse well between solutions.
    I have several graduates of various sizes, and shapes, but I use them interchangably.
    My practice is to rinse immediatly after pouring whatever chem, any time it's had any chem in it.
    (sometimes including the chem called "H2O")

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    One graduate should work. I only use developer once but reuse fix for several times. I found that graduated brown glass pharmacy bottles are perfect for the fix and have been using the same ones for forty years. A pharmacist gave them to me so you might go that route. I use Ilford ID 11 for film and mix 5 L stock solution and make the working sol. from that or Pyro PMK. Both working solutions only used once. For printing I only use chemistry for one session except Ammonium citrate for pt/pd which I replentish as needed. I use separate graduates for the pt/pd chemistry.

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's no big deal to have a separate one for each and it's much better from a chemical hygiene standpoint. I have three 1L beakers and three 100ml graduates. Each is labeled with what goes in it so there's much less chance of using, say, the developer beaker to make fix and then using it for developer. When I develop film, I have all the chemicals mixed in their own beaker and ready to use before I pour in the developer. This way, I can just pour the used whichever back into its beaker and clean up afterwards and concentrate on the agitation and timing. I think this method cuts down on the likelihood of putting them in in the wrong order as each beaker is clearly marked.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Graduates are just for mixing, IMHO. I rinse well between chemicals. I mix fixer by the gallon and use well washed winshield washer gallon jugs for storage. For film, I mix developer stock solution by the quart or liter, and use Di Saronno Amaretto bottle for storage. I just like the looks of them. Developer is diluted to working solution just before use and then discarded.
    Keep everything washed well and you'll never have a problem.
    Bruce

Moma don't take my Kodachrome away!
    Oops, Kodak just did!
    For all practical purposes, they've taken Kodak away.

BruceCSdunekPhotography.zenfolio.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you mix stock all in the same day. I would mix in order, dev, stop, fix. Rinse well after mixing each chemical. Never had a problem. If you are concerned, just get 4 plastic buckets from the dept store and mark them; dev, stop, fix, other. And use them dedicated to each chemical.

For developing, smaller quantities, I just used the 16oz plastic measuring cup for mixing and holding the chemicals, each is labeled; dev, stop, fix, hypo clear. If I was mixing smaller quantities, such as Rodinal, then I would take out the small graduate cylinder to measure that. Then into the 16oz measuring cup. This was back when I was in high school, the 16oz plastic measuring cup was a lot cheaper and affordable for me than a photo graduate.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Another option to consider for your working solutions of dev, stop, etc. Empty plastic peanut butter jars. I have a set for 35mm marked for both 10 and 20 ounces for doing either one or two reels. Each is permanently marked for its particular chemical. After filling, if you need to temper the chemicals, the screw-on lid is handy for sloshing them a bit to raise or lower the temp. without fear of spillage.
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

Shooter
    Multi Format
    One beaker will do just fine. Mix the solutions in the order you use them (developer, stop, fixer), and rinse the beaker out after mixing each one. Five rinses with water will thoroughly clear a glass beaker. I store my stock solutions in pop bottles. Try to keep separate bottles for each solution, but you can rinse them out the same way you do glass.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I never understood the paranoia about using the same container to mix dev/stop/fix as long as it's rinsed out between uses. The remote chance that a few molecules of "x" chemical may stick around leaves the contamination at parts per zillion, and so what? All the fuss about cross contamination only to wind up putting all of the chemicals into the same film development tank during use.

Just give it a good warm water rinse between mixing your chemicals and you'll be fine. Maybe a good wipe down with a disposable paper towel if you want to be extra cautious.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin