Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,849   Posts: 1,582,843   Online: 762

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dean Taylor View Post
    My admittedly inexperienced analysis wants to conclude that for 4x5 film, it is, indeed, superior to tray processing--avoiding scratches, splashes and spills, etc. But what do you pros think? Is it, in fact, a trade off (something lost/something gained)?
    The taco method works for me.

Setup for loading

http://www.flickr.com/photos/digi-fi...7627864733730/

The key is that the "pointed" edge where the film ends come together should abut the outer edge of the tank, otherwise when you put the lid on it can sometimes cause one of the edges to fold over.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've been using the taco method for years and haven't had any problems. I can process up to six sheets of 4x5 at a time in an Arista tank.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm a happy user of HP CombiPlan tank. Does 6 sheets in 1l of solution. Depending where you live, you can still pick them up new (UK), though they are out of production.
    Rafal Lukawiecki
    See rafal.net | Read rafal.net/articles

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony-S View Post
    The taco method works for me.

Setup for loading

http://www.flickr.com/photos/digi-fi...7627864733730/

The key is that the "pointed" edge where the film ends come together should abut the outer edge of the tank, otherwise when you put the lid on it can sometimes cause one of the edges to fold over.
    Thanks for the Flickr link Tony. I usually process one sheet at a time in a Paterson tank, with the film curved around the inner wall. I started to try taco once but I could feel the funnel pushing on the top edge of the film and was worried it might damage it so I abandoned that attempt. I can see that your way of positioning the film should avoid that problem. You can't beat a clear photo tutorial. I'll give this a try next time I have a few sheets to process.

To the OP - the black plastic tent might be light proof but I would be concerned about air flow. You might be sitting in there breathing stale air and chemical fumes.

Shooter
    35mm
    hi APUG pros!

And, thank you all for weighing in!

Q: is there an issue with the back (non-emulsion) side of the film being bound by the rubber band? ("The antihalation dye didn't rinse out where the elastic was, even with the fabric ones.")? Does the back of the 4x5 negative need unhindered contact with chemicals too?

Best,

Dean

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just place the sheets in a tray of fixer for a couple of minutes prior to washing and they will disappear.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

4x5 processing method: practical?

I've tried the blackout cloth method of improvised darkroom before. Two problems, ventilation and dust. I don't recommend it. You can do a lot in a tiny bathroom if you think vertically. Buy or make a rack that will allow you to stack your trays vertically with access space between them, and you have tray development with a small footprint. Or, use combi plan tanks as open dip and dunk tanks if you can find some. You really need to buy only one to get the rack. Use 1.5 liter rectangular juice jugs (refrigerator jugs) for the remaining tanks. Just find a plastic jug that the rack will fit in. A dip and dunk system like this will take up very little space.

Or use a Jobo 4x5 tank. No need for dark.

But I highly recommend even a very small bathroom over a dusty tent. Run the shower a few minutes before you start and the humidity will assure you will have zero dust.

Bathrooms are usually much easier to make light tight.

Good luck!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

4x5 processing method: practical?

I use the taco method with black hairbands and haven't encountered any problems. Yes, Michael, you can feel the funnel pressing down on the sheets a little, but it's just fine I assure you. I can process 4 sheets in a tank. I've tried crowding 6 in the tank, but ended up with development issues with that many.

Soon I'm going to try Unicolor roller development.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sorry to bring back an old thread but I had major issues with evenness of the developer. Shot nothing serious, just testing my LF abilities in my home studio but I need to figure out a better way to process my own work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Daniel-Duarte.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Well, I first tried tray development but despite care got scratches. Then I tried a Combi-Plan tank and that works fine for me.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin