Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 75,737   Posts: 1,670,440   Online: 756

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

4x5 processing method: practical?

hello--

A photographer has posted a YT video explaining a method of 4x5 processing.

In it, he takes the exposed 4x5 film and curls it, longways--emulsion in, of course--and secures it with a type of rubber band. The ends of the curl do not touch, allowing chemical bath to reach the emulsion. He may then place 4 of these...'curls' into a Paterson System 4 tank for agitation.

My admittedly inexperienced analysis wants to conclude that for 4x5 film, it is, indeed, superior to tray processing--avoiding scratches, splashes and spills, etc. But what do you pros think? Is it, in fact, a trade off (something lost/something gained)?

Thank you!

Dean

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've not used this method, but to help with your research, search for "taco method." That's how people refer to what you're describing.
    --
    Kenton Brede
    http://kentonbrede.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It seems to work well for some people.
    I tried it a couple of times and got very uneven development; for the tiny amount of 4x5 I do, I get better results from tray processing.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have used the taco method with great success. But I went have to tray processing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Is this the video where he uses fabric covered hair bands so water can soak through and remove the anti halation coating?

I think its a nice idea but I'm not convinced that you would get guaranteed even development. I'm a bit paranoid about even development at the moment having dumped my MOD54 insert because it was causing banding on the negs. I am now starting with a Paterson Orbital tray, which seems to me the best daylight tank solution for 4x5 although 4 negs a one time is limiting sometimes. But I think if I weren't so fed up with a series of ruined negs I would probably try the rubber band method, but for now I want the safest method possible.

Steve

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dean Taylor View Post
    hello--

A photographer has posted a YT video explaining a method of 4x5 processing.

In it, he takes the exposed 4x5 film and curls it, longways--emulsion in, of course--and secures it with a type of rubber band. The ends of the curl do not touch, allowing chemical bath to reach the emulsion. He may then place 4 of these...'curls' into a Paterson System 4 tank for agitation.

My admittedly inexperienced analysis wants to conclude that for 4x5 film, it is, indeed, superior to tray processing--avoiding scratches, splashes and spills, etc. But what do you pros think? Is it, in fact, a trade off (something lost/something gained)?

Thank you!

Dean
    This sounds like an excellent idea. I would use it and thanks for the post. It also makes me wonder if you could do the same but curl it sideways to get 4 in a double tank?

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dean Taylor View Post
    I've never done taco method, but the Unicolor Drum method and the BTZS tubes are both stupid easy.
    Parker Smith Photography, Inc.
    Atlanta, GA

Commercial & Fine Art Photography
    Portrait Photography

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    My experiments with this led to uneven development. They antihalation dye didn't rinse out where the elastic was, even with the fabric ones. I also had a couple bands come loose and damage 2 sheets. With my tray development, I get even development and nice control of the values.

Shooter
    35mm
    a Visqueen darkroom...

thank you, APUG community, for sharing your expertise! Much to consider here, food for thought...

At any rate--and, while I am assimilating this, I came up with another idea (however--and, as there is nothing new under the sun--chances are that the 'theory' has been applied by someone else.). And, that is: a 'darkroom' in the apartment.

Several photographers (here and at photo.net and Large Format) wrote of tray processing for 4x5. It occurred to me that using a change bag arrangement to load the Riteways is quite...constricting, to say the least. Also, to utilize trays would necessitate a bona fide darkroom--I am fairly certain that getting my apartment pitch black would be difficult at best, what with the site lighting on all night at the property, etc.

I thought it might be appropriate to buy a camper's tent and put every thing inside--a small table, trays, Riteways, 4x5 film, chemicals, etc.--and, then cover it with a darker material. But, (and, following Ockham), why not, I mused, then delete the camper's tent and just purchase a roll of Visqueen*, cut off a 12x12 foot piece and hang it from a swag hook on the ceiling ('pinch off' a handful at the center and hang).

I know for a fact that it would enable a pitch-black environment within (without hassling with window covering, etc.), with plenty of room to work inside--whether loading Riteways, tray processing, etc.

Has anyone tried this--it's inexpensive, collapsible (I can fold it and stow it away in a kitchen drawer), lightproof, as roomy as I need it to be.

Best,

Dean

*Visqueen: heavy black plastic used at construction sites for covering material, etc

(addendum: apartments here designed with meager bathroom space)
    Last edited by Dean Taylor; 02-28-2013 at 10:53 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Or, if you have a bathroom or other room without a window, hang a blanket over the door. That's what I do.
    --
    Kenton Brede
    http://kentonbrede.com/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin